Power Up with Breakfast
Is your child tired, hungry, or grumpy? Are you tired, hungry, and grumpy? Many children and adults do not eat breakfast in the morning leaving them tired and possibly grumpy. This makes it hard for children to learn in school and adults to concentrate. Breakfast is a great way "power up" and get your morning off to a great start.
Let's look at some of the common reasons people may not eat breakfast and some easy solutions.
"I don't have enough time in the morning"
- Get up 15 minutes earlier. You may want to start by just getting up 5 minutes earlier each day and by the end of the week, you will have gained 15 minutes - enough time for breakfast.
- Plan what you are going to have for breakfast the night before to save time in the morning.
- Students who don't have enough time to eat breakfast at home can eat breakfast at school (many schools now serve breakfast).
- Keep quick breakfast foods available to eat on the run. Here are some examples.
- Small yogurt container- Granola bars or fruit bars- Fruit- Cheese stick
"I'm not hungry first thing in the morning"
- Rather than skipping breakfast, try waiting 30 minutes or so after you get up to eat breakfast.
- Try a lighter breakfast such as yogurt and fruit or a slice of toast with peanut butter.
- Try eating breakfast every morning for a week - you may start to get hungry in the morning once your body adapts to a new eating schedule.
"I'm trying to lose weight"
- Research indicates that eating breakfast can actually help a person lose or maintain weight.
- Include a protein source, such as milk, cheese or peanut butter as part of your breakfast. This will help you feel fuller for a longer period of time.
"Breakfast foods are boring"Breakfast doesn't need to be boring! Here are some great ideas:
Quick and easy
Granola bars or breakfast bars
Peanut butter sandwich
Whole wheat toast
Whole grain muffins
A bit more preparation, but worth the wait
Hard cooked egg
Whole grain pancakes
Scrambled eggs with veggies
This month's challenge (pick one of the following)
- If you or your children are currently not eating breakfast, try eating breakfast for a week.
- If you currently eat breakfast, try to vary your breakfast with different fruits.