Here's a fun piece of trivia for your family. Did you know that you have about 10,000 taste buds in your mouth? Give them a treat by mixing things up and trying some new foods. March is National Nutrition Month® and a great time to "Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right!"
Kids have more taste buds than adults, so food may taste stronger to them.
At the grocery store
- Try a New Color. Have your children pick out an orange fruit or vegetable to put in the cart. Sweet potatoes, squash, pumpkin and carrots are taste superstars. Eating yellow/orange fruits and vegetables may help prevent cancer, keeps your heart healthy, helps maintain vision and may even slow down aging! How about mixing Mashed Potatoes with Butternut Squash? Your kids will love this.
- Try a New Food from a Food Group. Maybe you feel you've tried all the 'green' veggies out there, but how about kale? Kale is considered a super food because it packs a nutrient punch! This White Bean, Sausage, and Kale Soup is sure to be a family hit. Kids can remove kale from the stems by running the kale through their fingers. Very fun!
To add some variety during National Nutrition Month, try new ways to cook your 'old' favorites.
- Tired of baking your chicken? Try stir frying or grilling it.
- Tired of steaming your veggies? Why not sauté them? Sauté' is a French word that means 'to jump or bounce,' which refers to the tossing/stirring of foods in a small amount of oil in a pan. This cooking method preserves texture, moisture, and flavor of foods, and is quick and easy to do.
- Tired of baking your potatoes? Try roasting them. Add sweet potatoes or other root vegetables to your potatoes for an easy and healthy Roasted Root Vegetable Dish.
And speaking of spices, you might want to try something new. Add a dash of this Mexican Spice Blend to your next batch of chili:
1/4 cup chili powder
1/8 cup paprika
1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoons garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon ground dried chipotle chile pepper
1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
¼ teaspoon salt
Goal for the month
Here are some goals to try out this month. Pick one or two goals, and don't forget to get your kids involved!
- Visit The Recipe Box to "Enjoy the Taste of Eating Right."
- Ask your kids what new colors or new types of food to try.
- Try one of the recipes we've shared this month.