The Beauty of Believing

Julia-Roberts-Lancome-Ad-Campaign-Teint-Miracle.jpgWith the final arrival of fall, there's no doubt that most people head to the doctor when they're feeling a bit under the weather. After what seems to be forever in the waiting room, you expect your doctor to provide you a somewhat legible slip called a prescription. Based on the level of trust, you probably won't question what's in your medication. After all, it's supposed to get you back on your feet. When you have finally recovered from your treatment, what would happen if you learned that your medication was a fake? This major phenomenon, known as the placebo effect, has puzzled researchers for years because of its powerful effects. To put it in a nutshell, a placebo is a treatment that has no medical effect but can produce real results based on the expectation of improving.

By following this same train of thought, is it possible that the placebo effect can apply to products too? While flipping through my usually fashion magazines, I couldn't help but wonder if believing the claims made by advertisements of beauty products plays a part in the effectiveness of a product. For instance, many companies make extraordinary statements by promising women a more radiant and flawless appearance. At the same time, a majority don't even include any extraordinary evidence in their ads. Nonetheless, there's a possibility that our heighten expectations could increase the results of a marketed product based on the placebo effect. Especially when something is on the pricier side, people refuse to admit that they've wasted their money on some hyped up item. I'm totally guilty of that. However, I know from experience that it's harder to trick a mirror rather than the mind. Whether or not the placebo effect plays a significant role in the beauty industry, I guess it wouldn't hurt to have a positive state of mind.

Click here to read about a study dealing with the placebo effect and an "energy drink"