Activation-synthesis theory

http://www.dreammoods.com/dreamdictionary/c4.htm

Activation-synthesis theory

This theory basically attempts to explain the haphazard imagery and noises that create our dreams. It debunks the Freudian view on dreams and claims that random firing of neural signals causes dreams. The hallucinations we perceive while dreaming are an attempt of the forebrain to piece together these stimuli into an intelligible message for us to interpret. These random signals originate from cells in the pons (brain stem). This is a very important concept because it is a reminder of the vulnerability of us humans to seek out significance or paranormal existence in scientifically explainable things. Dreams are a fantastic real world example of apophenia, believing in connections between unrelated phenomena. Many books and websites are dedicated to dream interpretation. These pseudoscientific references claim that they can deduce what the brain is trying to say from these random firings. My favorite from the above website is that if a crab appears in your dream you are apparently too clingy. Personally I have fallen victim to this with my own personal dreams. On more than one occasion I believed that my flying in a dream represented feeling elated by a recent success. It's very easy to make connections between our dreams and our waking lives. The questions that remain in my head even after reading chapter five's possible explanations for dreams are abundant. I wonder if an explanation for clairvoyant dreams is that our memory of our dreams fades with time so when we see something that reminds us of something from our dream we associate them as one and the same. I am also curious; how would humans react to similar experiments of Jouvet with cats. Cat's minds are much simpler therefore we assume their dreams are as well. So how would a human mind's dreams play out?