Mnemonic Devices

A mnemonic device is a learning aid that enhances memory. These devices are often verbal. The most often seen mnemonic devices include alliteration, acronym, rhymes, groups, numbers, pictures, poems and jingles.These are common because many of these methods have a rhyme scheme or name attached that helps a person memorize things easily. An example of one of the most common mnemonic devices is one for remembering the colors of the rainbow in order. It's remembered by the saying ROY G BIV. Mnemonic devices are commonly taught in classrooms and developed by students as ways to remember things for tests.

I think that these techniques are very important for people to use and to know about because they can have a big impact on whether or not one will remember the subject. I also think that students that use this technique would perform much better on tests and quizzes where they need to memorize steps to a problem or a certain set of data.

So why do mnemonics work? I think it's because they are able to provide structure, but they still require the need to study and practice. I use mnemonics for a lot of my tests that I take because I feel that in many cases I am able to take things that when memorizing them as they are shown is rather chaotic, but when I can make a sentence with the first letter of each word being the same as the things I need to memorize, or make a rhyme to remember a sequence of words, it's much easier for me to remember them all. Other reasons I think that this is able to work is because it goes along with the Method of Loci. The Method of Loci is where things are matched with a visual picture that gives it more meaning. When memories are needed to be recalled, the visual memory is brought up, and it's easier to remember whatever it had been associated with.

http://712educators.about.com/od/creativethinking/tp/mnemonics.htm
http://www.braingle.com/mind/155.html