Nature Vs. Nurture Controversy

I always thought that nurture had a bigger impact than nature. I don't quite believe that someone is really born evil or born to do bad things; it just doesn't seem...right (for lack of a better word). I guess what I'm trying to say is that I would prefer to believe that "nature" has no affect on our lives. It seems so unfair to have one's life and prospects so defined by one's biology. I mean, it's not like we CHOSE who we are (who our parents are); we had no choice over anything. Limiting yourself just because of your birthright or your DNA, it just makes human life seem so predictable.

If we go with the "nature" theory, it seems that everything in your life from birth to adolescence to adulthood could be determined by your family history and etc. Abstract traits such as intelligence, personality, aggression, and sexual orientation are encoded in your DNA? By using this, it could be predicted that you will have a history of violence (because you inherited it from your parents) before you are even born. Scary, isn't it? Talk about the worst horoscope ever.

However, there is hope. Just because you have a particular gene that makes you vulnerable against a certain trait DOES NOT mean you will be subject to that trait. It's not like cause and effect. A tendency towards a characteristic does not MAKE you behave that way. I think genes DO have a part of your behavior, yet I don't think that it's set in stone.

This analogy best explains my thoughts:
"One comparison of how much the environment affects a child's development was done on tomatoes. Tomato seeds have certain genes in them, but what they grow into will be the same no matter what, and because of those genes in each seed, one may be destined to grow better than others. But if random seeds with different genes were split up into two groups, with different environments, it is likely that the quality of the tomato would differ. One group would have all the benefits to help them grow better, such as water, sunlight, good soil, and extra care. Whereas group two would be given bad soil, not enough sunlight and water, and no extra care. These differences in their environment would definitely change the outcome of the tomatoes because group one would turn out a lot better than those in group two. It's a matter of what kind of influence they receive to turn out a certain way. "Bad soil" can alter how something may develop, such as humans."
Link: http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/courses/classes/NE-24%20Olander/Equalitarinism_vs_Hereditarinism.htm