Retrieval and Acoustic Guidance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVke7IA_OtE&feature=relmfu

This weekend as I watched Akeelah and the Bee, I thought about psychology class because of what I featured in my linked video. If you watch the last thirty seconds of the video, you will observe that Akeelah taps the side of her leg with her hand as she recalls the letters of the words she is spelling. This is a replacement for her other retrieval method of jump roping. This makes me wonder if this is a direct connection to acoustic guidance. Possibly Akeelah does so well in the competition because she uses a retrieval method when spelling words.

This causes me to wonder that if I begin playing a rhythm while I study for psychology, or other classes and then repeated that rhythm during a test, or when I'm trying to recall the information if I would have increased retrieval. I also wonder if it would work more effectively in simply connected memories, for example vocabulary words and definitions or German words and their meanings, or if it would work more effectively with general information, for example if I used the repeated rhythm while I read my psychology chapter.

This would be an interesting subject to test, but at the same time, it would be difficult in a few different ways. If given an exam to test retrieval skills twice, people could improve just because it is the second time they are taking the test. This could be avoided by having two equalized, randomized groups of people study with the rhythm playing, and then a group without. Testing retrieval of the different types of information could really be a challenge though, because it is impossible to determine equally challenging random chapter facts with German vocabulary words. This can be avoided by repeating the last study I explained, and then comparing the difference between the two averages in scores in the data.