Synesthesia

Something that I found interesting from the textbook is the concept of synesthesia. As you probably know already, synesthesia is when people combine two senses into one, such as tasting and seeing at the same time. In the first Youtube video attached, Dr. Jeff Gardere explains that synesthesia is "when one sense involuntarily causes a sensation in another." He even goes on to say that this strange trait is hereditary. Also, in most cases, the synesthesia only goes one way. For example, if someone sees a color which triggers a taste for them, they won't see that certain color when they have that taste in a separate instance. I can't say that I've ever had first-hand experience with this phenomenon, but I find it extremely intriguing so I went in search of a different video that showed a person with this attribute more in depth.
In the second Youtube video that I have attached, the girl has a form of synesthesia where she sees numbers in colors. Each color has its own color. I find this to be very interesting yet unbelievable. I mean, I believe it, but I can't imagine what these blending sensations would feel like.
Synesthesia is psychologically important because it probably helps psychologists to understand what sort of things can go wrong in the sensory pathways. Obviously, if someone can taste colors, there is something neurologically wrong with them that psychologists can uncover or explain.
I'm not quite sure how to relate this phenomenon to my life other than trying to picture what my life would be like with synesthesia. If I could choose what form of synesthesia to have, I would want to see letters in color. With this, I could be excellent at spelling and probably make my school papers sound very fluent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a87C43FDEEI&feature=fvst
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olP_kDjyczc