Girl Fasts Her Way to Royal Wedding

Estibalis Chavez, 19, was lent the money to fly to London for the royal wedding after a 16-day long hunger fast, according to the BBC News.

Chavez camped out in front of the British Embassy in Mexico City in February against the scorn of onlookers, said a MSN website.

"At the time I didn't see it as something so drastic and dramatic," Chavez told BBC. "[People] said I risked my health for something many believe to be frivolous and silly. But, I think that for me, it was the only way to achieve my goal."

Octavio Fitch Lazo, a lobbyist, walked past Chavez during her fast and decided to lend her $1,250 for the flight, said a Global Post article.

The teenager's mother died during her birth, and all Chavez has known about her mother is how much she loved Princess Diana, according to the Global Post article.

"I've been a fan of Lady Di since I was little and my mother's a fan as well," said Chavez. "And I promised myself I would go to a royal wedding."

This page contains a single entry by fazio011 published on April 22, 2011 10:39 PM.

Hailstorms Kill in China was the previous entry in this blog.

University Student Dies in Truck Collision is the next entry in this blog.