Two kindergarten kids from Hebei Province were poisoned to death after drinking a bottle of yogurt that appears to have been deliberately tainted with rat poison by the jealous head of a rival kindergarten, local police confirmed with the Global Times on Thursday.
The two girls, aged five and six, ate the yogurt on the morning of April 24 in Liaghe village of Pingshan county. One of the girls died on the way to hospital and the other passed away Wednesday afternoon, reported Global Times.
The girls' grandmother found the yogurt, which was left in a bag with a pile of notebooks, on the road near their school, reported Mail Online.
She took the books and yogurt back home and let the girls have it when they came back from school, reported Mail Online.
A preliminary probe found that the yogurt was tainted with rat poison. According to the police, the head of a rival kindergarten confess that she injected the poison into the yogurt, and asked a man to place it, along with school supplies, along the road to Liaghe kindergarten, reported Global Times.
Officers believe poisoning was motivated by competition for students between the schools, reported Mail Online.