Students Standing Up to Crime

As as student at the University of Minnesota I have been getting constant emails about signing petitions and letting the local government know that students don't feel safe on campus. I think its great to see young student standing up and having a voice in important matters. Even though we are young and don't have degrees yet, we can stand up and make a change.

I signed the petition that was circulating the University. The students used social media to help spread the petition so that as many people as possible could sign it. Using Facebook as a platform was a great decision because almost every student at the U has a Facebook that they check regularly. The petition was also sent out over email to many umn.edu emails. Again this was smart because students check this daily for information on classes.

Last night I was watching the news and I saw that students spoke in front of lawmakers about their safety concerns. It's amazing to see how a few students who had a great idea and something that they believe in have taken it so far. They used some great marketing tactics to get students to sign the petition and now they are really making a difference.

Professionalism on LinkedIn

As a financial recruiting intern at Coenen Bros. I use LinkedIn almost every day to look up potential candidates. When searching for candidates, I only have a few seconds to glance at a candidate and determine if they are worth my time.

The first thing that I notice on a profile is a photo. Some professionals on LinkedIn have very blurry and unprofessional photos that make it seem as though they don't care. A photo is the first representation of this candidate. I recommend that photos be in business clothes and is a simple head shot.

The next thing I look at is work experience. Some people have every company that they have ever worked at since high school listed on their profile. This is not necessary and can even make it appear as thought the candidate can't hold down a job for more than a few months.

When it comes to a LinkedIn profile, more is less. List the important information that is necessary to know. Things such as current career and past two jobs, where you graduated from college and special awards or achievements that you may have received. However, don't add needless fluff just because you can. Any boss or manager can see past this unnecessary information.

Before I started working at Coenen Bros. I didn't have a professional LinkedIn. I'm glad that this internship has helped me to update my profile and understand how important a LinkedIn can be when a boss is only able to take a few seconds to gain a first impression.

My Career In Five Years

I used to always think that I wanted to work in corporate public relations but I recently got an internship doing recruiting that I really enjoy. This internship has opened my eyes to possible other career paths that I would like to explore. I really enjoy working with people and getting to know new people so I could see myself being a recruiter. I have also related the career of recruiting to sales. In both careers you are selling something whether it is an idea, a product or a new job. I am still very undecided on what I see myself doing but these are two careers that I am interested in.

In order to get there I will need to first graduate from the University and then work my way up in either field. Both of these careers are the type that you get in on the ground floor and work your way up based on performance and ability. I don't know much about sales so I would need an internship to gain more experience.

To get started on a career path I need to start now by taking the right classes. My minor is management, which helps in both sales and recruiting because I have to take human resources, accounting and finance classes. Also, right now I should be reaching out and getting to know professionals who can help me get more experience in these fields. Having an internship is the first step in moving up in any career and I am working on that now.

Media Profile on Kaeti Hinck

Many say that the journalism is a dying field and advise college students to steer clear of the career path all together. Newspapers are selling less and less and news is starting to become an online media format. However, there are certain professionals who have taken this trend and turned it into an opportunity. Journalists at the MinnPost have decided to only publish an online format and one reporter in particular has taken the professions of journalism and technology and mixed them into her own unique career.

Kaeti Hinck is a journalist who has discovered how to connect the art of storytelling to technology. As the Director of News Technology at MinnPost and focuses her time on interactive journalism. Kaeti graduated from Augustana College in Souix Falls and has been able to work her way up inside of the small company.

She has always had a love for storytelling and as technology advanced when she was in college she discovered a way to combine the two into a career she loves. Kaeti enjoys reporting on the politics and civic ongoings in Minneapolis. Her favorite part of being a journalist for the MinnPost is having a real voice in the community and making a difference in the community's mind.

It was fun to interview Kaeti and hear about a totally new kind of journalism that incorporates both writing and technology. I have a new favorite newspaper that is totally free to read and easy to access online!

To learn more about MinnPost visit their website at www.minnpost.com.

Celebrity Parents Selling Child Photos

In the past five or so years a new trend has started that makes celebrity's children almost as famous as them. The baby's births are long awaited and most recently, the birth of Kanye and Kim's baby was compared to the royal baby. Fans try to guess names and birthdays and even bet money on what the name will be.

The real issue with this new trend of celebrity children is the parents who choose to publicize their children. They use their children to make themselves more famous and more popular. Kids have become a new pr tool for celebrities. Some parents will sell their children's photos to magazines to make money or they will do a spread to gain more popularity.

To me using your children to become more famous is wrong. Kids are not a pr tool. Kim Kardashian giving birth on national television and then selling her daughter's photos is not the right way to to gain fame. This children have no say in what happens to them and may not want to be in the spotlight when they are older.

Miley Cyrus in the Media

This summer Miley Cyrus transformed her image from a Disney star to a full blown pop star. She not only ditched her clean image, but her long hair and basically all of her clothes. Many fans were shocked and couldn't believe her new look or her new music lyrics.

Everyone started speaking out on her wild lifestyle and commenting that she was taking a turn for the worst and was going to be the next Lindsay Lohan or Amanda Bynes. Many people were saying that she was starting to become the next washed up child star.

However, I think that she made a great move for her own publicity. She is more famous than ever and is more talked about than any other star right now. She has performed at almost every one of the latest award shows and before she never would have been asked to do so. Miley is on top of the music industry right now and it's all because of her new image. Fans are always waiting to see what she does next.

Her crazy antics and performances have made her more famous than ever. While some people may be worried about her, I think that she's just being a smart business woman and having her 15-minutes of fame while she can.

Delta Airlines Customer Service Complaint

I am a loyal customer of Delta Airlines and have been since I began flying. As a frequent flyer I am a valued customer who flies at least five times each year on Delta Airlines. I find that the airline always has flights to the destinations that I am seeking for reasonable prices and at convenient times. When the airline industry took a hit in 2008 due to the recession all airlines fell on hard times. I think that Delta did a great job of not sacrificing the customer experience in order to save money. Despite my long-standing loyalty, I recently had a very unfortunate experience with the airline's policies and a few of its employees at the Minneapolis-Saint Paul Airport in Minnesota.

In early February of 2013 I purchased a direct flight to London, England for May 16th. I purchased my ticket way in advance to get a low price and to lock in my flight. In the months leading up to my trip, I received multiple updates on my flight including a seat change and a slight time change. When I arrived to the airport, over two hours early for my flight, I was not assigned a seat at check in but was assured that I would receive one at the gate. At the gate I was again assured that I would receive my seat assignment as the flight departure got closer. However, the plane was beginning to board and I had no seat. At that point the women at the desk informed me that I did not have a seat on the flight that I had booked three months in advance. They insincerely apologized and told me that there was nothing they could do.

After much discussion and anger on my part I was informed that every flight is over booked because customers usually don't show up or are happy to take a voucher for a later flight. I was in tears as I had to explain to my friend, who had booked her flight with me so that we did not arrive in London alone, that I would not be on the flight. The attendants were quite rude to me and left me waiting at the desk as they boarded the flight. The only real apology or compensation that I received was a check for $1,300, which was less than my flight. I was rebooked for the next day and as a 19 year old had to fly to London alone and was a day late for the orientation to my study abroad program.

I understand that Delta has policies for events such as this. I do appreciate the financial compensation that I received. However, I did not appreciate being "randomly" selected to be bumped off of my flight when people who had booked after me were boarding the flight. I would like to know if anyone else has ever experienced something like this. How does Delta plan on preventing this from happening to other customers in the future? I would hope that instead of promising customers a seat that does not exist that Delta would explain the situation to them before the flight is actually boarding.

UofM Crime

In the past few months there has been an increased amount of crime on the University of Minnesota campus. These incidents include robberies, assaults, sexual assaults and attempted kidnappings. While these are horrible things that are occurring on what should be a safe campus, the real concern is the University's public relations team and how they are handling the issue.

As students, we have always gotten crime alert emails that let us know what has happened and in the past all of theses incidents occurred off of campus. Recently the crimes have been occurring closer and closer to campus and eventually resulted in a gunman inside of a university building.

When these crimes occurred the University sent out a crime alert as always. However, as the crimes became more frequent, more violent and closer to the heart of campus the University did not address this issue. In fact they continued to point the finger at the students saying that we need to walk together and that part of why this happens is because we are intoxicated. However, many of these most recent incidents have included sober students and groups of students.

The University needs to stop pointing the finger at the students and look inward. How can they prevent these crimes from happening? The police need to stop spending so much time breaking up house parties and giving out underage drinking tickets when they could be spending time patrolling campus and keeping students safe.

Paul Walker's Death

Last week the actor Paul Walker died in a tragic car accident when his friend lost control of the vehicle they were in and it collided with a tree. The accident was extremely shocking because unlike other celebrities, Paul did not have a history of reckless actions.

The media began reporting on this event moments after it happened and before they knew who was driving or what exactly happened to cause the crash. The entertainment media sites began talking about his daughter that he left behind as well as his close friends that would be affected by this news.

I feel as though the media sites should have waited until they knew who was driving and what happened before they said that he was driving. The sites such as E news started reporting about his daughter and I feel that they should have left her out of it and respected her privacy.

I think that in situations like this, the family members and friends need time to recover from this news without having false claims plastered on the news. Today, news sites are too concerned with being the first station to break the story instead of thinking about how the news will affect people and how accurate the facts are.

Social media became a popular way to share photos and stay connected when I was just entering high school back in 2007. Facebook was the new trend to jump onto, but it was thought of as just another teen craze where kids could share funny comments and photos. Over the past six years I have seen firsthand both Facebook and Twitter evolve into tools that every smart public relations and marketing professional needs to use in order to stay connected and up to date.

Over the past three years that I have been in college, almost all of my professors have put their Twitter handle on the syllabus and have encouraged students to follow them for information and class updates. In most of the classes for my major, strategic communications, I am encouraged to not only follow my professors on Twitter but my assignments include tweeting relevant facts about class. It's amazing to see how in just a few short years Twitter has become a major source of news and information sharing.

There is more to the growth of Twitter and Facebook than just my personal usage and views on the sites. The social media sites, especially Twitter, have become a must have for any public relations professional. Not only do professionals stay connected via Twitter, but also Twitter has become one of the fastest ways to hear about breaking news stories. Professionals don't just use Twitter to tweet funny pictures and celebrate their favorite team's win, they use Twitter unlike most. For a professional, Twitter is an amazing tool that allows for quick and mass sharing of news and links.

Twitter's take over of the social media world can also be credited to the spread of smart phone technology and the added ease of access. Now days it takes only a few seconds to update a Twitter feed and anyone can click on a link and open it in seconds. Twitter allows for connectivity and information at our fingertips. Because Twitter is set up so that users can be followed, retweeted and favorited, this news and important links can be spread across the Internet in seconds.

For more information on social media statistics and how people are using Twitter and Facebook, visit http://www.arikhanson.com/2011/01/31/16-social-media-statistics-that-might-surprise-you/ and to see what public relations professionals in the Twin Cities are worth following on Twitter click on this link, Top 20 Twin Cities PR Pros on Twitter.