Main | Skype Firefox Extension - Brilliant »

David Walker's RSS Creator

"A system that leverages SFX and Metalib to create RSS feeds for any journal or newspaper indexed and abstracted in a library's subscription databases.
flash RSS Creator 0.1"

http://public.csusm.edu/dwalker/rss.htm

That pretty much sums it up. The system is password protected (htaccess), which won't work in Bloglines but will work in a variety of desktop tools. I hope more libraries integrate similar RSS services into their online services.

rss_creator.jpg

TrackBack

This is indeed very, very cool. I've looked at it before, and wondered how he is doing it. Any ideas?

Hi Shane,

Unfortunately, I haven't ever worked with the SFX API, so I can't really say. I'd certainly be interested in looking into it once my schedule clears up a bit.

One thought comes to mind though - it would be even easier if we were to focus on the health sciences because of PubMed's various web services utilities and because the bibliographic matter that it freely presents to the public. We could, I imagine, pull PubMed data and perform lookups in SFX via the pmid. -just a thought.

Actually, I think Walker's system is more reliant on Metalib than it is on SFX. I believe Walker is querying Metalib with X-Server (perhaps a current contents database) and then he is pumping out the results in RSS. He uses SFX to list out the journals that need to be queried. Now that I think about it, this is probably possible to do here...

Neat, let me know if I can be of any service. (No Metalib/SFX experience ;) ). Actually, this is something I'd like to learn more about, so looking over your shoulder would also be a lot of fun. -Thanks