« David Walker's RSS Creator | Main | Drupalcon 2008: Dev, Stage, Build! »

Skype Firefox Extension - Brilliant

I just updated Skype on my home computer, and boy am I impressed with one new little feature. It's a Firefox extension that looks for phone numbers on web pages. When it finds one, it highlights it and sticks a "skype out" link on it, which makes for a one-click phone call.

Um, why do I bother using a standard phone anymore?

Technically, this kind of functionality is easy to achieve. But the phone needs to talk to the computer. It's a natural feature for a VoIP service, and would be a major pain in the rear for a traditional phone.

Anyway, here's what it looks like:

skypenum.jpg

I also really love this feature. But there is a problem: All the numbers that appears in a webpage are converted in a phone number by the skype extension.

Great but it isn't obvious how to turn this "feature" off. I think you have to uninstall the "add-in" to switch it off :-(

I'd recommend against installing this plugin. Several people (myself included) have experienced problems related to displaying images as a result of the Skype plugin. If you have this plugin installed and have been getting errors similar to "[...] cannot be displayed, because it contains errors," uninstall the Skype plugin.