« Will Craig and Carl Reed to be Inducted into URISA's GIS Hall of Fame | Main | GISSO Open House 22 September 2009, 5 PM, Blegen 445 »

UMN IT outage Saturday morning 25September2009

IT Outage on Saturday, October 24, 2009

I am writing to provide an update on a planned IT Outage that is scheduled for Saturday, October 24, 2009. Knowing how difficult that this might be, coming in the middle of a term, I want to send this update to you well ahead of October 24.

Last summer, we had two power-loss events in the University's primary data center (located in the West Bank Office Building). All Enterprise and University-wide applications run on servers in this data center, and many colleges and departments have servers (and systems/services) here as well. Thus, it is imperative that we increase the amount of utility and emergency power to this center so that we do not have catastrophic events. The unfortunate part is that the coordination with multiple outside groups (power companies, etc.) did not allow completion of this work at the end of the summer.

Therefore, I write to ask you to please plan for an "IT Outage" on Saturday October 24. What this means is that the systems you and your students possibly depend on (e.g., Moodle, WebVista, e-mail, MyU Portal, OneStop, etc.) may not be available on October 24. Thus, I wanted to send this update to you.

Collegiate IT directors are very aware of this situation. In their words, "A planned IT outage is far better than an unplanned one," and they understand how critical this work is to complete. Please feel free to visit with them; the more they know about your teaching and research needs planned for Saturday, October 24, the better they can plan for possible backup support.

The specifics:
This IT outage will begin at 2:00 a.m. on Saturday October 24.
All applications supported by the Office of Information Technology (OIT) are expected to be restored to service by noon on October 25.

Again, please visit with your collegiate IT director. Also, please feel free to convey any concern to me as well. The Office of Information Technology (OIT) also has created a Web site that will be continuously updated as we plan for and execute this outage.

Thank you for your understanding and planning efforts.

Ann Hill Duin
Associate Vice President and Associate CIO
Office of Information Technology