« Celtics surge to 11-1, and I secretly weep tears of nostalgia | Main | What a BCS mess.. »

Romanian film wins top award at Stockholm international film festival

The Romanian film "4 month, 3 weeks and 2 days" won the top prize at the 18th Stockholm International Film Festival Saturday, according to the news site, China view. The film, which also won the top prize at the 60th Cannes International Film Festival earlier this year, was awarded the Bronze Horse for Best Film 2007 at this year's 10-day Stockholm film festival which ended Sunday. The film is about illegal abortion, with commentary on the Roe vs. Wade case, and involves young Romanian characters. The film critic at IMDB describes the film as being "as uncompromising as any film I have seen in recent memory," a critique that certainly stirs up anticipation in a film buff like myself. The film was directed by Romanian director Cristian Mungiu. The information that I sought in the article at China view was of confirmation that the festival is indeed a credible festival, worthy of giving such praise to a film. I then ran across how the festival awarded "Requiem for a Dream" in the past, a film I consider compelling, and it also said that the festival is considered one of the 10 biggest film festivals of the year, but I wonder when they say that, who is the "they." The fact that they mentioned it as linked to Cannes film festival gave it all the credibility I needed.