Dysfunctional Roles

I worry most about falling into the Pleaser role. I usually like to avoid conflict, and as Fujishin puts it, "the pleaser attempts to avoid all conflictby giving in to the wishes of the others." I don't want to give up my opinion just to avoid conflict. I won't necessarily give in all the time, it depends on the situation. If I am in a group of people that I know well and that I am confortable with, I am less likely to give in and more likely to give my opinion. On the otherhand, if I am in a group that I don't know well or that I am not comfortable with, I may not be as likely to give my opinion. I don't think I would completely fall into the pleaser role because I don't think I would do "whatever it takes to dissolve or neutralize the disagreement," as fujishin says. I feel that some disagreement is necessary to come to an agreement and to come to the best compromise.

The best way to avoid this role would be to voice my opinion all the times and try to get more comfortable in the groups. It would probably be helpful to have everyone introduce themselves and give a little background information before starting the task. I would also just have to work on bringing up my opinion even if it conflicts the others because it is pretty likely that someone else is thinking the same thing.

Posted by at October 12, 2005 12:59 PM