Recently in Features Category

Interview with A Wilhelm Scream's Trevor Reilly

This interview comes from a site called punknews.org

The feature is a sit down interview with guitarist and lead song writer Trevor Reilly of the New Bedford, Mass. band A Wilhelm Scream.

I think the story covers tons of information, all which are very interesting and exciting for fans to learn.

I have to say the organization of the story is a little off.  The story goes from recent touring news, to the history of the band, to their new record label, and to fantasy tours.  It goes back and forth from new developments with their new record and random odds and ends.  There does not seem to be a strong order to the story.

I really like that they have long quotes from Reilly.  It gives the reader great insight into how he talks and allows the reader to really understand his views and opinions.

The author, despite being in no sensible order, covers both new developments with the band and random questions that fans would like to know.  The author is able to get Reilly to talk about the new record label and new EP; topics that are very pertinent because they are new topics.  The author also is able to get some "behind the scenes" info that fans would like so that they can get to know the band and Reilly a bit more.

Player Profile: Stanford RB Toby Gerhart

This feature is a story on the rapid rise to stardom of Stanford University's Toby Gerhart

The story is a profile about Gerhart off of the field.  It focuses on his upbringing and how he came to Stanford and how he has turned their program around.

I really like the intro paragraph.  It puts you ion the shoes of Gerhart the student, not the football player.  It immediately reminds the reader of being stuck in class while something more exciting is taking place outside of the classroom.

The author also does a nice job of highlighting Gerhart's humility.  It is almost cliche to do this in sports reporting, but the author really does point out that despite his impressive individual achievements, Gerhart is more focused on the team and not worried about receiving some of the individual accolades that his peers are receiving.

I think the academic side of Gerhart would be interesting to learn about.  It is mentioned in the first paragraph, but not mentioned after that.  I think it would be interesting to learn about how a star athlete balances his team duties with the rigorous course-load that a school like Stanford would require.

Overall it is a nice piece that sheds new light on a player that really is a wild card in the current sports world.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Features category.

International is the next category.