« Fifth Time... just keep coming back | Main | Sixth Time, Will it be the last time? »

Blog 8/9 - Commentary on MDG Presentations

Kelly Berry and Broc Blegen’s honors presentation on Goal 8, Develop a Global Partnership for Development, focused on Mogadishu, Somolia. As for their presentation, the heavy use and intense color caught my attention, however I disliked the size and font of text. I thought they touched on some very interesting and inventive points, but could have done more with presenting the ideas in an exciting manor rather than in a monotone.
I was interested in this group’s ideas and research related to technology because this was how our group chose to think about goal 1 of eradicating extreme poverty and hunger. They made good points that wireless technology is in use today and that taking advantage of this technology would be better than implementing a land infrastructure.
Looking to Kenya as an example offered many of the similar options we found to apply to Mali. In the past ten years, Kenya has developed private communication systems, while skipping early technologies (3 people used cell phones per every person using landlines). They had to deal with an unstable government, which connected back to Somalia. The newer wireless technology offered ease and a cost-efficient solution. If Somalia was able to develop a wireless Internet system, it would be cheaper than the cost of using traditional telecommunication equipment.
In a similar way to our group, they wanted to use this technology to stimulate learning in hope of building this global partnership. I love the point they made that was children are the most important natural resource. They wanted to “use children’s natural curiosity to stimulate learning.? Each child would get its own laptop (having a model in class was extra fun and captivating). These are redesigned small green fun-looking laptops.
As I second part of their presentation, they concentrated on energy fuels; however, the most valuable information to me was the use of technology geared towards the children.

Allison Prange, Kyle Fitzpatrick, Amanda MacDonald, and Kurtez Ellis presentation on Goal #, provide environmental sustainability focused on what we can do as citizens to better help this issue and therefore, our globe. I think the design of the website (www.pran0024.worldpress.com) and brochure were very appropriate for this goal as getting the information out there is vital. The Internet is a source that is used worldwide or is being implemented as a way of building up economies. Brochures are available at an assortment of places, for example, at the University of Minnesota; students get brochures handed to them daily. Some may see this as negative, for if the majority of students are like me, they just throw them away (maybe I should recycle!). However, I found their design captivating. I like the square fold out version that was a unique style. The design was also intensely colored but minimalist, which allowed me to flip threw it without feeling overwhelmed with text. A+ for the brochure! As for the informative part of the presentation, I would say that this was the easiest presentation to listen to. They did an excellent job of finding information that would pertain to me! I do not mean to sound selfish, but again the overwhelming feeling of doing huge things is not present, but rather, something small that I can start to do and influence others to do (much like what they expected). For example, they made eight points for individuals to do: recycle, minimize light energy use, minimize appliance energy, heat homes efficiently, wear bamboo fiber clothing, have a personal garden/compost pile, drive a hybrid car, use biofuels.
The only criticism would be to think more broadly about what ideas have not been done and what direction we can go in the future to achieve this goal. However, until people can start doing small things, big ideas will not necessarily succeed.

Finishing these projects, I reviewed the deadline for the Millennium Goals that being 2015. I felt people offered plausible solutions and emphasized the need to educate as part of accomplishing these goals, but most never looked if it is plausible to reach these goals in seven years. I guess I still do not know if this is possible.