Project 4: Final Reflection

I loved this project. It was so fun to do and translated well into a lesson plan.

There were a few things that I disliked about the process:
1.) The tempera paint really smelled extremely toxic.
2.) As I mixed it the paint got muddier and muddier.
3.) I should have taped the plastic sheeting down.

The monoprints worked very well. And the music was a great way to paint. It would be fun to experiment with different kinds of music (I used classical).

I chose to do my New Media Art extra credit on *MOUCHETTE* because it was one of the few works in the book that was still active and something that I could participate in. This website was begun in 1996 and claimed to be the work of a 12 year old girl. The website has been active for about thirteen years and continues with the same home page as pictures in the book. It is a multilayered and confusing site with many links and interactive questions and checklists. One of the most shocking things about this website is its depiction of child sexuality. It features several pages with strange and suggestive questions on them. I found this website very disturbing actually, and the more explored the more strange the experience became. 

Lesson Plan: Kandinsky Shape Painting PDF

Kandinsky Shape Painting
Classroom with a Computer Lab
Elise Filmore
December 22, 2009
University of MN Duluth

8th Grade.
3+ class periods.

Kandinsky Shape Painting.pdf

Lesson Plan: Sound and Color Painting PDF

Sound and Color Painting
Classroom without a Computer Lab
Elise Filmore
December 15, 2009
University of MN Duluth

6th Grade.
3 class periods.

Sound and Color Painting Lesson Plan.pdf

Final Project: Color and Sound Video

Final Project: Media Arts Hands-on Investigation

For my final project I chose:

Media Arts Hands-on Investigation

Here is your chance to try one more creative project on your own. Your project should explore some of the elements of Media Arts ( space, time, light, motion, color and sound). You might choose to create an animation based on your own lesson plan, or make a short experimental movie around a theme. The work does not need to be narrative. Your project should result in a short quick-time movie clip (40-60 seconds long). For grading, plan to include all your idealization : sketches, story boards, and any other pre-visualization design work. Also create a post-production story board (a grid of thumbnail stills from the movie).

My concept is to use Vassily Kandinsky as an inspiration in my own exploration of color and sound. I will acuire a large sheet of plastic on which I will pore tempera paint. I will then videotape myself manipulating the paint with my hands while listening to a particular piece of music. Finally I will create a mono print of the finished manipulation. In the end I will have a short video, as well as a longer one, and a mono print.

Project 3: Final Reflection.

Workshop.jpgThe first day of the Workshop I was in charge of video documentation. This was a very enjoyable experience, since I enjoy behind the scenes work.
me_videotaping_resize.jpgAs a mentor for the rest of the workshop I aided in the animation process with the students. We used the following programs with the students: Photoshop, Quicktime, and Garageband. In my post processing I also used Adobe Illustrator. I found myself wishing we could just focus on one or two aspects of the animation process. This would have been to the students benefit to learn a program really well rather then having to learn a completely new interface every afternoon. Even if we had just cut out Garageband they would have had more time to work on the animation. I felt like my fellow mentor and I did to much of the animating and that if the students had been given more time they could have completed the animation on their own. One of our students was absent for two weeks, which took a real toll on his creative input in the piece. When he came back he was ready to work on the piece and did everything we asked, scene wise, and brought his own ideas to the table. Our other student was a hard worker and completed all of the characters in one night with time to spare. Because of the absences she had to work even harder to get twice as much done.
Beateuy.jpgOverall I think the students had a good time and got a lot out of the experience. I know that I enjoyed teaching digital techniques.


Project 3: Final Animation

This is our final animation. I re-edited the piece with my own music and replaced the credit page with one that omitted the children's names.

Project 3: iMovie & Garageband

Digital Workshop Day 5: Openingresize.jpg

Today we worked in iMovie and Garageband. We added all the .jpg and .mov files, including backgrounds and scene breaks for the students and then helped them build a story out of the elements that they had already created. We supervised the making of the movie file and then had the students try and finish one song to be used as the theme music throughout the whole movie. Neither of our students were familiar with the programs and so it was a new and interesting challenge for them to work with these mediums. I have never used Garageband before myself so this was an excellent learning experience for me. I have the beginnings of an amazing song for my version of the animation.

Project 3: Animation-Raw Video Material

Digital Workshop Day 4:

We worked on animating the different scenes so they would be ready for piecing together in the next and final class. Here are just a few examples of what we are teaching the youth to do. These are simple, cutout/stop motion animation effects in photoshop and exported to quicktime