Recently in Tweed Museum of Art Category

Project 3: Final Reflection.

Workshop.jpgThe first day of the Workshop I was in charge of video documentation. This was a very enjoyable experience, since I enjoy behind the scenes work.
me_videotaping_resize.jpgAs a mentor for the rest of the workshop I aided in the animation process with the students. We used the following programs with the students: Photoshop, Quicktime, and Garageband. In my post processing I also used Adobe Illustrator. I found myself wishing we could just focus on one or two aspects of the animation process. This would have been to the students benefit to learn a program really well rather then having to learn a completely new interface every afternoon. Even if we had just cut out Garageband they would have had more time to work on the animation. I felt like my fellow mentor and I did to much of the animating and that if the students had been given more time they could have completed the animation on their own. One of our students was absent for two weeks, which took a real toll on his creative input in the piece. When he came back he was ready to work on the piece and did everything we asked, scene wise, and brought his own ideas to the table. Our other student was a hard worker and completed all of the characters in one night with time to spare. Because of the absences she had to work even harder to get twice as much done.
Beateuy.jpgOverall I think the students had a good time and got a lot out of the experience. I know that I enjoyed teaching digital techniques.

.

Review: Luis Gonzáles Palma

"Every project is a small failure, this is why we continue with another one."

-Luis Gonzáles Palma

I attended an artist lecture given by Luis Gonzáles Palma which occurs in conjunction with his exhibition in The Tweed Museum of Art, A Silent Unity of Gazes. Palma is a native of Guatemala, born in 1957. He studied architecture and cinematography at the Universidad de San Carlos de Guatemala. Palma reflects on social constructs, such as couples and families and the violence that invades these relationships. He also comes from a Catholic tradition, though he expresses his break with a system based, as he sees it, on guilt. His exhibition includes mostly photographs, some hand painted or chemically altered. He stated that he begins with black and white photos and then uses chemical tones to produce the sepia effect. Palma uses gold leaf in a good portion of the work on display. He uses Kodaliths embedded in resin with the metal which gives the work a mystical shine and the illusion of inner light. Palma uses the phrase "impossibility of love" to describe the central issue in his work. However, he admits that now that he has had children his outlook has softened and he views love with more hopefulness and possibility though the intense difficulty is still impressed on his thinking.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Tweed Museum of Art category.

Resources is the previous category.

UMD Art + Design is the next category.