Me += EM4102;

Quite a bit has happened in terms of design ideas since my last entry. An issue of IEEE magazine came in the mail a few weeks ago featuring an article about a man named Amal Graafstra who was implanted with two RFID chips, one being an EM4102. Previously, this had hardly been done in humans, as it is usually done in animals for identification purposes. After glancing at the cover I told my roommate that as soon as that was available for the average person, I would be the first in line. Later on, I realized that the article was about how you or I could, in fact, do the same!
I have settled on a single plan: starting my 1990 Honda Accord LX with my right hand. I recieved an EM4102 RFID tag which will soon be implanted in my right hand next to my thumb. I currently have a Phidgets reader. Tomorrow I will be ordering a RWD EM4102 reader. This is a nifty little chip that acts as a reader/microcontroller for a few purposes. It will be connected to a Microchip PIC18F4550. This will allow me to control various functions of the car, as well as control the reader itself.
Tonight I started on the design of the project using Gschem from the gEDA project. Once I finish the layout, I will convert it to PCB and order it.
As for the function of the project as a whole, the setup will be pretty nifty. The reader will be implanted near the driver side door handle so that the chip in my hand will be read when I reach to open the door. As soon as the chip is read, the doors will be unlocked and the ignition will be turned on. There will also be a start voltage supplied, but the car will not yet start because of the clutch switch. This means that all I have to do is get in the car and push in on the clutch and the car will start. There will also be a mode select switch which will allow me to turn the whole thing off (and only be allowed to start the car with the key) or force the unit to wait for a button push to start the car.
When the schematic becomes a bit better and more complete, I will post it. I'm still kinda learning this whole Gschem thing.

Continue reading "Me += EM4102;" »

A couple of things...

There are a couple of idea's I've been thinking about latey, and I figure I need to write them down.
Implementations of the PIC or something like it to do something nifty
I found a RF transmitter/reciever package for a decent price ($11.95 plus shipping)
Some way of putting Linux on a PIC
And, completely different, creating a Linux distribution that is geared towards engineering students

Hmm

Continue reading "A couple of things..." »

Haha

Some info...

Sourceforge for Ettercap: http://ettercap.sourceforge.net/
Wiki for Ettercap: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ettercap_(computing)
DDWRT for the router: http://www.dd-wrt.com/
Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DD-WRT
Setting up ACM site for backups, info, etc.
Adding some additions to Simpic. Maybe.
Mplayer is the shit. GUI?

Adventures with the PIC18F452

EE2361 Intro to Microcontrollers has led to a desire for a usable implementation of the little black thingy. Best ideas so far have included light/power source controllers, which, unfortunately, is quite a common idea. So I'm thinking about trying something else. Possibly something having to do with ARP control/poisoning or sniffing. Perhaps some kind of cheap version of Ettercap or Ethereal. Who knows.

Continue reading "Adventures with the PIC18F452" »

Hmm, I can blog...

Forgot about this thing. Seems to me it will be a good tool to help me give back to the open source community of which I have taken so much. I will never be able to do anything actually useful, however hopefully blogged entries of my escapades with Linux and other stereotypical computer-engineer-in-training type projects and whatnot will help at least one other person somewhere (even if that person is me...). That being said, I currently use a Dell XPS m1210 which dual-boots Fedora Core 6 (yeah I'm a sucker for Compiz...) and Windows XP. I have two old Compaqs in the basement which serve as my webserver and router (potentially). The webserver runs CentOS 4.4, and the router runs (read: kinda runs) OpenBSD. It has yet to be correctly set up due to class taking a priority.

Continue reading "Hmm, I can blog..." »