« Haha | Main | Me += EM4102; »

A couple of things...

There are a couple of idea's I've been thinking about latey, and I figure I need to write them down.
Implementations of the PIC or something like it to do something nifty
I found a RF transmitter/reciever package for a decent price ($11.95 plus shipping)
Some way of putting Linux on a PIC
And, completely different, creating a Linux distribution that is geared towards engineering students

Hmm

Implementations of the PIC or something like it to do something nifty:
I guess I think it would be cool to use the thing to actually do something cool. Some ideas have been to use it as an arp sniffer or a packet watcher. My roommate wants to use it as a key cracker. It could also be used for:

I found an RF transmitter/reciever package for a decent price ($11.95 plus shipping):
I could use the PIC and the RF transmitter/reciever, as previously stated to do something useful such as open the garage door when I drove up to it or turn on the lights in my room when I entered with the transmitter. Ideally, I would like to integrate it with my Palm Pilot for this purpous, furthering the idea of a multi-use device. A cool site to check out is http://www.linuxdevices.com/

Some way of putting Linux on a PIC:
I found an interesting distrobution of Linux called uClinux. http://www.uclinux.org/ This is an ultra-lightweight Linux distribution (The 'u' in the name is the symbol for the SI prefix, "micro."). Currently there is no port to any PIC microprocessor. I certainly do not have the expertice to port it myself.

...creating a Linux distribution that is geared towards engineering students:
I think it would be nice to have a distro that contains suites of programs such as gEDA and gpasm that would boot of a USB key or live CD. This would not only make the idea of using Linux for engineering projects much more feasable for the new Linux user, but it would support the idea of open source. Perhaps when I have the time I will try to gather a list of software that I know about that could go on the distro.