myU OneStop

Communicators Forum home page.

Today: The U celebrates National Day on Writing

102009.jpgNow here is a mid-October holiday I can get behind! National Day on Writing, founded by the intrepid National Council of Teachers of English (NCTE), celebrates writing of all ilks and advocates for us all to be better writers.

The University's Center for Writing has some sweet stuff planned, including an opportunity to celebrate this oft-private activity in front of webcams in... the Writing Pod [see photo on right for how I am picturing this...]. If any of you Forum members go into the pod, please take pictures to share!

Also, any UThink entries tagged dayonwriting will be pulled into a special Day on Writing blog set up by the good (and patient...hi Shane!) people at UThink.

Links to more info:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brostad/ / CC BY 2.0

Update: I HAVE BEEN TO THE POD!
102009a.jpg
102009b.jpg

I saw the press release for this and am deeply tempted to enter the Writing Pod. I envisioned it more like a plant-type pod--maybe comfortably lined with milkweed seed. Sadly, it probably will be a desk and chair. But the idea is still really cool.

this year's pod was a little more than a desk and chair, but a little less than our imaginations had variously conceived of it. i like the vegetative/organic idea of the pod very much!

in years to come, perhaps we can proliferate the pod, offering and enjoying a pod to fit every style. what do you think? with your ideas, ingenuity, and labor what might we be able to create?

a potential pod of pods:

photo booth
phone booth
seed pod
iron lung
ct scan tube
micro-submarine

Because I sit in an open cube, there are days when I would LOVE my own private little writing pod!