Conversation Between Durkheim and Addams

Setting: The Hull-House has just been created and Durkheim is dabbling in his theories about the division of labor. He has come to the Hull-House to discuss with Addams the nature of the Hull-House and to brainstorm ideas with her.

Durkheim: Congratulations on your efforts in creating a sense of individual and community cohesion.
Jane: Thank you, I see so much injustice within the industrialization of Chicago and so many people are being taken advantage of by the system.
D: Yes this is a common problem among complex industrialized nations. However, it is a necessary evil.
J: Yes it is a part of the developmental process but we also feel that regulation needs to be a part of it in order to better serve the community as a whole.
D: I have noticed an emphasis in many nations on the good of the society as a whole. Many people feel connected by common experiences and struggles.
J: This is true, but in my hands on encounters with the lower classes of Chicago, I have seen people alienated from society if they are not the same or hold different values. What would you have to say about that?
.......
By Emma F. Krystal and Bop