Test

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/cgi-bin/mt.cgi?__mode=view&_type=entry&blog_id=8552

Wrap Up

I really enjoyed doing this. I learned many things. I would usually do my little lessons at night when everyone had gone to bed so I could play with it a while. The thing I enjoyed, and will really use the most, was Jing. I can see ways that can be used by many in our office.

I would definitely sign up to take another course like this again! Thank you for doing this for us!

Web Conferencing

I have helped set up web conferencing with Educators and I also worked with Chery to present interviews using UMConnect. This is a very useful tool to use to save everyone time from traveling to meetings.

Communicating

I have downloaded the Pidgin and have used it at work with others. I really do like it - it works great if others are on, but there are many days I forget to turn the same on myself. It's like a new toy - you use it a lot at first and then you kind of forget about it. It is very handy if you are working on something and need to chat with someone from another office - quicker than email. I looked at Twitter but, to be honest, was not sure how I would use the same for work purposes.

Social Networking

Social networking can be very fun. I have a Facebook account and have gotten back in touch with some old friends. I looked at all of the ones you gave us as examples and found some to be difficult to follow and others, such as the Mayo Clinic, to be very interesting! I did go on to the LinkedIn and looked for former classmates from my high school but did not find any. I will have to keep checking my account.

Productivity Tools

I took a look at several of the tools. I reallly liked Doodle because you can send out a list of dates and have your participants pick what works best for them. This would be very useful when trying to find a date that works for every one for a conference or conference call because some times calendars in UMCAL are just not up to-date.

I also created a Zoho account and tried exporting and importing from Word. I was really impressed in how the document looked the same from one to the other. Fortunately, I have the same version word on my laptop at home as at work, but this was a reallly nice feature and might work well if you are working on a document with someone outside of Extension who does not have Word available to them.

There are many neat tools out there that are free to use if one only knew about them all!

Wikis

I took a look at several of the links you mentioned. These may be useful for Support Staff groups to use to communicate with each other on different topics (technology, EFS issues, etc.).

Podcasts

I found some very interesting podcasts when I was looking through the different searches. I did not realize there is such a variety of them out there.

Using Flickr

Well, I was excited to see what I can do with Flickr. I have used WalMart's photo portion to share photos with my husband's family but have done no more than share the photos. Flickr looks fun to use - I like that you can leave comments about the pictures and so can those you share them with. I am actually on vacation in Bristol, TN for a NASCAR race so when I get home, I am going to create an account and play with the same.

RSS Feeds

Well, I finished the second lesson on RSS feeds. I think they are very easy to set up and I am anxious to use them in the next week or two.

Current Educational Technology

I am excited about taking these weekly sessions. There is so much to learn - I try to keep up with my kids and there are so many things they know and use every day on the computer that are fun and challenging. I think this is a great way to share different ways that technology is being used.