Accessin Shibby Easy - Week 8

Accessibility should be the key component to any website in my opinion! I prefer simple layouts, simple text and less graphics when I want to get information. Keep certain sites for sweet graphics, or if you're going to have lots of graphics use them in an orderly fashion that allows for the content to be easily had. For our websites, they should be extremely accessible because they are most likely viewed by a huge base of viewers. Yeah I guess thats all I have to say...

Digitizin the Billboards - Week 7

WHY WOULDN'T YOU USE DIGITAL BILLBOARDS!? I guess I haven't seen to many but the concept makes sense! Especially in terms of saving materials, like paper for instance... If there were more digital billboards, you could readily update your ads whenever you wanted. Granted some people might use these for displaying pornographic ads, which should be restricted to certain places where minors may not see these adds (simple solution to problems by me). I think big paper billboards are a thing of the past, and why the hell are we supposed to be diverting our attention from driving, does that make sense!? Keep em simple in high pedestrian traffic areas, I don't see why the rules for them should be so strict. Just make sure they are in the right places, and economical.

Good Web Fonts - Week 6

Well as you can see I'm trying to catch up with my blog entries for class... But anyways diverting from that! What do I think are good web fonts? Well obviously the first thing you should consider is the readability, if you can't read it, chances are no one else can. There are certain tried and true fonts that work well so stick to those. Think about browsers and other people using your website, there are only so many fonts that you can use in all actuality. Frickin Verdana, for all your sans-serif needs, and frickin Times bla bla for all your serif needs. These are the fonts that most comps have, like macs and pc's. Anything else you see thats crazy is probably graphics in the page. Well thats all I have to say about that, make it look cool, keep it simple, and you website will shine.

Bloggin bout Kiosks - Week 5

Yeah, I can't really remember any kiosks that I've used recently. The only one I've really seen and can remember in the last few months was the kiosk that Tony, Paul, and others were working on for the Solon Center. I thought it was a really cool idea to have something like that in the school. It just made me imagine having them all around campus to direct you to wherever you may be going. I think it would be applied better in a bigger campus maybe, but it definetly has its uses here for new students. I thought the design was very clean and easy to use, and the technology used in it is very intriguing. I want touch screen everything because interaction is about touching in my opinion and the mouse click is not as tactile. I think people really want to use their hands its a part of being human, and the more interfaces that allow you to interact with your hands in an easy fashion to get information, the better. Bring on the new technology!!! Bring it ON!!!

My Adventures in the Second Life - Week 3

So I signed up for the Second Life, the online second world where you can pretty much do anything granted you know the incredibly confusing programming language and actually want to spend money to buy things that you cannot actually touch. I signed up for the basic free account under the alias of Frank Janus. It didn't take long to actually get into the swing of things. The learning curve for the basic controls is about 15 to 20 minutes, but if you're slow and not much of gamer and know where to look for things it could take much longer. I have been using the Second Life software probably every night for average of about 20-30 minutes, and I even got one of my roomates to join up too so we could cause some virtual trouble. Walking around talking to people is fun for a while, I actually did this to begin with and made a few friends, broke into a house with some guy wearing a dildo object that he found somewhere. All this stuff was fine and dandy but what really made me curious was all the pornographic stuff in the Second Life, so of course I had to check it out, well me and my roomate checked it out. The things that people do in this virtual world are pretty sick and sad, but I had to see it with my own computer screen, so I did. There we people actually using the Second Life to have sex, whoa... thats scary, and kinda sad. I guess the only problems I see with the software are the programming language which takes a lot of smarts to use apparently, and good math skills which I do not posess. Lastly, getting things costs real money, and I just haven't gathered up the courage to buy something that only exists in cyber space. Well, I guess thats all I have to say yet, I'll try to keep updating my adventures, but until then. Ciao!

Bout User Interfaces in Gaming - Week 3

Okay, so I really like to play basketball video games, and I found a UI that really sucks, well it doesn't really suck, but its a pain in the butt sometimes. Okay so the game would be College Hoops 2K7 for XBOX 360 that I'm complaining about. In the game the menu is accessed using the right trigger of the controller. When you access the menu its basically just a simple drop down menu, but there is one big problem I have with it and thats that you can never just go back to the previous menu, you have to constantly go back to the main menu and then go back through the menus to get to the screen before the sub menu you happened to be in. I think its really a stupid thing to do, because when you're switching game options on the fly while you're playing you don't want to get deep into a substitution menu and then have to go back to the main menu all the time and have to select all the menus again to get back to the subs menu. Its really annoying, but I felt it would be easily tamed by just letting the user push a back button to go to previous menus, easy, yes....

All Kinds of Questions - Week 1

What is Interactive Design?
Information that people can interact with, click on etc. to get more information etc. yet should be easy to use and figure out. Okay, it's all about efficiency and getting the information the fastest, and maybe in there the thing should be aesthetically pleasing... uhg.

What do you want to learn in the course?
Uhhhh... I guess better interactive skills, a little more understanding of the web and its features, new things that I usually don't do, like this blog thinger. Better knowledge of appropriate web design, maybe a little program knowledge.

What applications / programming languages do you know or want to learn?
I want to know them all, but that just isn't realistic because my brain doesn't have the capacity for learning that many languages, but a little basic xhtml, some css, and a little php wouldn't hurt, basically I want to know what all those stupid things in the address bar mean (ie /cgi-bin/mt.cgi?__mode....blah blah.) its all so confusing.