Your Personal Librarian - Jan Fransen

Jan-Home.jpg

Who am I?

Maybe the better question to answer is, "Why do you need to know me?" If you're an undergraduate or graduate student or a faculty member in Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Computer Science & Engineering, or History of Science & Technology, then I'm your librarian.

I can help you by:

• Answering reference questions. Can't track down a citation? Want to make sure you found all the research that's been done on your thesis topic? Contact me. I can work with you via email, or meet with you at the library or your office to help you find what you need.
  • Selecting the books, conference proceedings, and journals you need to do your work. Contact me if you have specific titles in mind.
  • Leading workshops tailored to your research group's needs. We offer regularly scheduled workshops at Walter Library and other campus libraries, and I'd be glad to customize any of them for your group. Note that although many of our workshops are about library tools and resources, we do go beyond the library's walls with classes such as Grant Funding for Graduate Students and Google: Advanced Searching for Researchers.
  • Developing Web pages of library resources geared specifically for the courses you're teaching. I can also come into your class to teach your students how to use those resources effectively.
  • Helping you add your works, whether published in a journal or written as a student, to the University Digital Conservancy (UDC). The UDC offers long-term archiving, a persistent URL you can share with your colleagues or post to your Web site, and indexing by Google and other search engines.
  • Providing you with information to help you choose the best personal information management tools for the way you work. https://www.lib.umn.edu/capimFind out more on the Libraries' Managing Your Information page.

Getting to full text off campus (Library Hacks)
When you're on campus, getting to the full text of articles licensed by University Libraries is easy: Most of or…
Formatting Your Dissertation in Microsoft Word
Over the last couple of years, librarians who teach workshops have made a point of trying to capture at least…
Orientations for Grad Students
One of my favorite weeks of the year is the week before Labor Day. That's because I have the opportunity…