Summer Reading

via Jon Jeffryes:

Are you looking for some thought-provoking reads to while away the summer hours? Would you like to have an opportunity for an informal discussion of science related topics?
You may be interested in the Big Bang Book Club. It's co-sponsored by Magers & Quinn Booksellers; Secrets of the City; Center for Science, Technology and Public Policy; and Grumpy's. They meet the fourth Tuesday of every month at Grumpy's Bar & Grill (1111 Washington Av. S. Minneapolis) from 7-9.
Ghost Map.png
This month (June 23) they're reading Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World by Stephen Johnson.

UM TC Wilson Library (RC133.G6 J64 2006)

Here are the books they've got coming up in the near future:

stroke.jpg

July 28: My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey by Jill Bolte Taylor 

Balck Hole War.png
August 25: Black Hole War: My Battle With Stephen Hawking to Make the World Safe for Quantum Mechanics by Leonard Susskind

UM TC Walter Sci/Eng Library Books (Level F) (QC174.12 .S896 2008)

13 Things.pngSeptember 22: 13 Things That Don't Make Sense: The Most Baffling Scientific Mysteries of Our Time by Michael Brooks

microcosm.png

October 27: Microcosm: E. coli and the New Science of Life by Carl Zimmer

UM TC Magrath (QR82.E6 Z56 2008)

Wow! Nice site Jan!