Analysis- data sets

For my data sets analysis, I used the following article http://fcir.org/2012/12/03/13th-grade-how-florida-schools-are-failing-to-prepare-graduates-for-college/.

The author uses data sets from standardized placement tests given out by universities across the country. The article points out the high number of Florida high school students that are scoring low enough on these tests to require them to take remedial courses at the college level. It talks about how these numbers are much higher than the national average, which points out a problem with the high school system. For analysis, the author develops a few steps the Florida school system should take in order to better prepare their students for college and graduation.
To do this reporting, the writer needed the ability to locate and access these records, as well as interpret the data and separate it out to determine what numbers were national averages and what numbers were coming specifically from the state of Florida. The writer used no graphics or interactive tools in the article to display the data, which was disappointing. Though the disparities were all clearly written out, I feel as though a graphic would have had a larger impact on the reader.

Mac production to return to U.S.

Apple will begin to produce Macintosh products in the U.S. again, starting in 2013, CEO Tim Cook said Thursday, the San Jose Mercury News reported.
Complete production was taking place in China, Reuters said.
It is unknown exactly which products will be produced in the U.S., but it is expected to be a substantial amount. Apple is putting $100 million into the project, Reuters reported.

Minnesota Orchestra reports record deficit

The Minnesota Orchestra reported a $6 million operating deficit Thursday for the 2012 fiscal year, the largest deficit in its 110 year history, the Star Tribune reported.
The losses doubled from the 2011 deficit, the Pioneer Press reported.
The near future does not appear bright for the ochestra either. The musicians have been locked out for 10 weeks and performances are cancelled through the rest of the year, the Pioneer Press said.

T-Mobile introduces Apple product plans

T-Mobile will begin carrying Iphone coverage in 2013, the company announced Thursday, the Huffington Post reported.
"We are going to launch Apple products and we're going to do it in a very innovative way," T-Mobile USA CEO John Legere said, PC Magazine reported.
T-Mobile was the last major U.S. carrier without Apple's products.
"It was very clear that a certain number of customers wouldn't come to the store if we didn't have the iPhone. There was a definite churn impact," Legere said.

Kobe Bryant reaches 30000 points

Kobe Bryant notched his 30,000th point on a short jump shot Wednesday night in New Orleans against the Hornets, the Huffington Post reported.
Bryant is just the fifth player in NBA history to reach the plateau, ESPN said.
"It's just a tremendous honor," Bryant told reporters, ESPN said. "I don't really know how else to put it. I've just been very, very fortunate."
Bryant scored 29 in the game. The Lakers defeated the Hornets 103-87.

Ben Revere traded to Phillies

The Minnesota Twins traded outfielder Ben Revere to the Philadelphia Phillies Thursday, MLB.Com reported.
The Twins received right-handed pitcher Vance Worley and another pitching prospect, the Pioneer Press said.
The move comes just six days after the Twins traded outfielder Denard Span to the Nationals, the Pioneer Press said.

Itunes 11 now available

Apple released Itunes 11 Thursday, PC Magazine reported.
Apple planned on releasing the newest version of Itunes in October, but delayed the release due to "engineering difficulties", CNN said.
Since 2001, Itunes has added apps and television shows, as well as serving as a platform to manage multiple Apple devices.
"In other words, iTunes has become a bloated, slow, unwieldy mess," CNN's Christina Warren said.

Minnesota Wild goalie diagnosed with MS

Minnesota Wild goaltender Josh Harding contacted numerous teammates Wednesday to inform them of his diagnosis of multiple sclerosis, the Pioneer Press said.
"I don't look at this like I've got to take a new path," said Harding, 28, drafted 10 years ago by the Wild and months off signing a new three-year contract, the Star Tribune reported. "This is a little bump in the road. I've had lots in life."
Multiple sclerosis is "an incurable autoimmune disease in which the body randomly attacks and eats away the protective lining of his nerves and causes them to scar. It causes problems with balance, fatigue and blurred vision. There are 25,000 new cases diagnosed in the United States every year," the Star Tribune said.
Harding hopes to keep moving forward and expects no sympathy.
"I feel good," Harding said. "I've been skating for a couple of weeks, three or four times a week. I still have a little bit of a way to go, but I'm definitely on track," he told the Pioneer Press.

Former President George HW Bush stable in hospital

President George HW Bush is in the hospital for Bronchitis-related complications and is in stable condition, the hospital said Thursday, Reuters reported.
Bush, 88, has stayed at Houston's Methodist Hospital for the past six days. He has a "lingering cough", spokesman Jim McGrath told CNN.
"President Bush has been in and out of The Methodist Hospital in the Texas Medical Center being treated for complications related to his bronchitis," Bush's office said in a statement released by the hospital, Reuters reported. "He is in stable condition, and is expected to be released within the next 72 hours."

Two winners in Powerball lottery drawing

Two people, one from Missouri and one from Arizona, are new multi-millionaires following Wednesday's Powerball drawing, the Associated Press reported.
The two still unknown winners will split the record-breaking Powerball jackpot, valued at $587.5 million, CNN said.
The winning numbers from the drawing were 5, 23, 16, 22 and 29, and the Powerball was 6, CNN said.
The winners have 180 days to claim their winnings.

Recent Comments

• jkmoyer: Jace, had a bad link to Chicago Tribune. Analysis was read more
  • jkmoyer: Pretty good effort on this analysis, Jace. read more
  • frede309: Sounds good I will definitely make that adjustment this week. read more
  • Gayle Golden: I know it's tough to get used to rewriting in read more