Recently in crime Category

Three dead in an Eastern Wisconsin shooting

A shooting killed three and injured four at a spa near Milwaukee, Wis., police said.
Radcliffe Franklin Haughton, 45, of Brown Deer is the suspected gunman, according to police.
The four wounded victims have been transported to Froedtert Hospital. The hospital is on lockdown, though the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports the lockdown is a "precautionary measure."
Haughton is still at large, the Associated Press reported. Stores inside the mall and multiple roads in the surrounding area have been locked down as the police pursues the suspect. The police have recovered Haughton's car, the AP said.

Suspect identified in Inglewood shooting

A suspect was identified by Police Saturday in the shooting of a five-person family in Inglewood, Cal.
Desmond John Moses, 55, is still at large, Inglewood Police Chief Mark Fronterotta said, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Moses is suspected to have shot fives members of the family, killing two, when he entered their home at 4 a.m. Saturday morning, the LA Times reported.
Moses is described as a Haitian man who reportedly was in a quarrel with the family and rents a home behind theirs, NBC Los Angeles said.
"I am directly appealing to Mr. Moses to turn himself in," Fronterotta told NBC LA. "At the same time, we are aggressively looking for Mr. Moses in connection with this crime."

Sources Analysis

The article I am analyzing is about an apparent homicide and it comes from the Pioneer Press. Here is the link.

Most of the information given comes from a police report and other facts of the situation attributed by the police spokesperson, who obviously appears to be a credible source, though they are never directly quoted.

The only person directly quoted is a man who attended church with the deceased woman and is familiar with the area. His quote is not one stating fact, just giving his opinion of the area's atmosphere.

I think the way the information is given with the available sources was effective. The stats and "guts" of the information surrounding the incident is given at the beginning, which is most of what people want to know and they want it from a credible source. Referring to the church goer for reaction to the incident is a good way to show how the community is responding, as some people are interested in that as well, though it is a little less important.

Hand gluing mother sentenced to 99 years in prison

The Dallas mother who glued her two-year-old daughter's hands to a wall, has been sentenced to 99 years in prison.

Elizabeth Escalona, 23, sat motionless Friday as her verdict was delivered, reported WFAA.

"You savagely beat your child to the edge of death," said State District Judge Larry Mitchell as he read his verdict. "For this, you must be punished."

Escalona attacked two-year-old Jocelyn Cedillo because of potty-training issues. She pleaded guilty in July to felony injury to a child, said CBSNews.

"I kicked her, I hit her, I kicked her constantly," Escalona said in her defense Wednesday. "I'm not a monster. I'm not what everyone thinks I am," reported WFAA.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the crime category.

college is the previous category.

Dallas is the next category.