Recently in education Category

Analysis- data sets

For my data sets analysis, I used the following article http://fcir.org/2012/12/03/13th-grade-how-florida-schools-are-failing-to-prepare-graduates-for-college/.

The author uses data sets from standardized placement tests given out by universities across the country. The article points out the high number of Florida high school students that are scoring low enough on these tests to require them to take remedial courses at the college level. It talks about how these numbers are much higher than the national average, which points out a problem with the high school system. For analysis, the author develops a few steps the Florida school system should take in order to better prepare their students for college and graduation.
To do this reporting, the writer needed the ability to locate and access these records, as well as interpret the data and separate it out to determine what numbers were national averages and what numbers were coming specifically from the state of Florida. The writer used no graphics or interactive tools in the article to display the data, which was disappointing. Though the disparities were all clearly written out, I feel as though a graphic would have had a larger impact on the reader.

Analysis- Culture

For my analysis on a feature of a different cultural group, I used the following article http://www.sacbee.com/2012/11/13/4980759/hmong-find-a-voice-on-school-board.html.

This article does a nice job of pointing out the angle of the story, which is this Hmong man gaining representation for his community on the school board, and shifts to Steve Ly's personal story and all he has suffered through in his life. They story assimilates Ly into the minds of the readers from this Hmong man to a colorless citizen who has simply accomplished great things.

The sources used for the story include Ly, which is important to show his true character and personality. The other source is a fellow school board member, who talked about welcoming him onto the board with open arms, treating him with the same respect as anyone else.

Analysis- Numbers

For my numbers' analysis, I used the following link about tuition freezes http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/11/11/state-universities-tuition-freeze-budget-cuts/1698379/.

The reporter in this story used numbers to show the rise in tuition over the past four years, as well as a comparison between the percentage rise across the nation versus universities in a few areas proposing the freeze. Other uses include percentages of funding from states that some universities have lost. To show the amplitude of those cuts, the article shows the actual amount of dollars that Arizona's universities have lost, $400 million. An actual number was also used to describe the amount of debt the average college graduate holds after high school.
The reporter's numbers are framed fairly well in my mind. The percentages sometimes can appear to be deceiving, as we do not know the general numbers that these percentages are coming from, but comparing the percentages from one state to a national average is a good utilization of the numbers. I liked the actual numbers and when they were used. Using them on the average student debt and the amount Arizona universities were having cut is an effective strategy because readers then understand the magnitude of what is happening.
The sources used all appear to be very credible on the issue. The sources include the Iowa Board of Regents President, the U.S. Department of Education and the University of New Hampshire Board of Trustees Chancellor.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the education category.

Dallas is the previous category.

election is the next category.