Recently in legal Category

Mall of America will require supervision of teens under 16 wishing to shop at the mall on Black Friday, the Pioneer Press reported.
The restriction stems from a chair-throwing brawl in the mall, sparked mostly by teens, the day after Christmas last year, spokesperson Bridget Jewell told the Star Tribune.
"We realized after last year that we had a large number of youths who were coming," she said. "Just for everyone's safety, it makes sense to us to put the policy in place."
The Mall of America welcomed 219,000 shoppers into the facility during last year's Black Friday, the Pioneer Press said.

Shabazz Muhammad eligible to play for UCLA

The NCAA reinstated UCLA freshman Shabazz Muhammad Friday, making him eligible for action immediately, the USA Today reported.
Muhammad had previously been ruled ineligible for receiving improper benefits during his recruiting process, USA Today said.
Muhammad's first game as a Bruin will be Monday, when UCLA takes on Georgetown.
"I am excited to be able to play for UCLA starting next Monday," Muhammad said, CBS Sports reported. "My family and friends were very supportive of me throughout this process and I couldn't have gone through this without them."

Wal-Mart workers to strike Black Friday

Wal-Mart workers around the country are planning to walk out on Black Friday, The Examiner reported.
An employee-led group called "Making Change at Wal-Mart" said protests are expected in cities such as Chicago, Dallas, Miami, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Milwaukee, Los Angeles, Minnesota, and Washington, D.C., the San Francisco Chronicle reported.
Wal-Mart does not appear ready to budge on the issue. Spokesperson Kory Lundberg called the tactics, "just another exaggerated publicity campaign aimed at generating headlines to mislead," the chronicle said.

Ameridose recalls all drugs

Ameridose LLC agreed to recall all products Wednesday after federal investigators found flaws in the company's sterilization process, the Boston Globe reported.
Ameridose is a sister company to the Framingham pharmacy linked to drugs that are suspected to have aided in hundreds of fungal infections and 29 deaths in the country, the Globe said.
"Ameridose and FDA agree that the use of injectable products that are not sterile can represent a serious hazard to health," the company said in a statement, Reuters reported.
The halt of Ameridose's products could lead to a shortage of supply, Reuters said.
""This is a company that produces and ships a lot of sterile injectables. We are trying to mitigate the effects (of the Ameridose recall) on drug supplies," Jane Woodcock, FDA director of theCenter for Drug Evaluation and Research, said.

Monster cited in death reports

Monster Energy Drinks have been cited in five death reports this year, according to reports filed to the FDA.
The reports could possibly have aided in Monster's fall in the stock market. The California-based company fell 14% in the market Monday, losing all gains from this year, Businessweek reported.
The reports were released after a Maryland mother requested them following her 14-year-old daughter's death. The girl's death was linked to heart issues and the girl's mother reported her daughter drank the Monster drink of consecutive days before her death, Businessweek said.
"Monster does not believe that its beverages are in any way responsible for the death of Ms. Fournier," the company told CNN Money. "Monster is unaware of any fatality anywhere that has been caused by its drinks."

Week 2 Analysis: Story Progression

The story I chose for this analysis was the Associated Press's article covering Dish Network's settlement with Cablevision and AMC.

The reporter in this story summarized the important elements of the story by stating the location, companies involved and what they accomplished in the first paragraph.
The reporter the specific details of the deal, giving dollar amounts and exactly what the deal means over the next two paragraphs.
The reporter goes over a brief history of the issue to show the context of the situation.
The article points out the channels popular shows that will now be available again due to the agreement in the next paragraph. The author explains exactly when the channels will again be available to consumers.
Two of the final three paragraphs give quotes from both sides, showing their opinion on the occurrence.

I think the reporter's progression of information is effective. It begins with the resolution and then talks about the issue so people can understand the circumstances of the event. I like how the article shows how the agreement will affect consumers decently early in the article. That information is what's important to the readers. I also like how the quotes from both sides are buried at the end. The quotes obviously need to be in there, but they are lower than usual because they are not of interest to the reader and these quotes are very generic as both sides want to act as though they love the deal they came up with and that it's fair.

Sources Analysis

The article I am analyzing is about an apparent homicide and it comes from the Pioneer Press. Here is the link.

Most of the information given comes from a police report and other facts of the situation attributed by the police spokesperson, who obviously appears to be a credible source, though they are never directly quoted.

The only person directly quoted is a man who attended church with the deceased woman and is familiar with the area. His quote is not one stating fact, just giving his opinion of the area's atmosphere.

I think the way the information is given with the available sources was effective. The stats and "guts" of the information surrounding the incident is given at the beginning, which is most of what people want to know and they want it from a credible source. Referring to the church goer for reaction to the incident is a good way to show how the community is responding, as some people are interested in that as well, though it is a little less important.

Hand gluing mother sentenced to 99 years in prison

The Dallas mother who glued her two-year-old daughter's hands to a wall, has been sentenced to 99 years in prison.

Elizabeth Escalona, 23, sat motionless Friday as her verdict was delivered, reported WFAA.

"You savagely beat your child to the edge of death," said State District Judge Larry Mitchell as he read his verdict. "For this, you must be punished."

Escalona attacked two-year-old Jocelyn Cedillo because of potty-training issues. She pleaded guilty in July to felony injury to a child, said CBSNews.

"I kicked her, I hit her, I kicked her constantly," Escalona said in her defense Wednesday. "I'm not a monster. I'm not what everyone thinks I am," reported WFAA.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the legal category.

international is the previous category.

Los Angeles is the next category.