Making Science Relevant to The Youth

Science fiction is often more fiction than science, but when flipped fiction becomes a way broadcasting scientific facts and advancements with a cool twist, presenting knowledge with a unique and fascinating approach. Rob Spence, a Canadian film maker, does this in a video put out to promote a Deus Ex, a recently released video game. Spence draws parallels between the video game's main character who is a cyborg and where neuroscience actually is by interviewing in human cyborgs. The game is set 15 year in the future but it is not terribly far off (in a lot of respects) to things that are happening today.

The individual responsible for closer than usual understanding of science in the video game is Will Rosellini, a doctoral student at The University of Texas's neuroscience program. Rosellini who studies similar things to that in the video game and owns a company which develops medical solutions to neurological problems was a consultant to the video game and talks about the experience in an interview.

I thought the video was interesting because it illustrated some fundamentals of neuroscience in a way people with no interest in neuroscience or science could understand and enjoy. While not going too far into specifics (of the neuroscience that is) I believe the video does address the nervous system and perception as something that exists and are not separate from the body. The film maker draws a distinction between this video game and the Matrix/Inception style of science fiction which is based more on dualism than anything real. I like it when science and creativity meet and I think it is good when popular culture illustrates science as science. If you like to check out the video, it is posted below.

Duex Ex video

Sweet. Can't wait to play that game. I wish they adapter more scifi classics to games though. Rudy Rucker's Software series for example.