H & E in jest

I enjoyed the way Dillard descried the frog scene. To me it makes me realize that we sometimes think of nature as a poorly drawn picture by our 4th grade siblings, complete with grass a tree and a blue sky with squiggly clouds and smiling sun with a possible set of aviator sunglasses. But really it is a complex set of laws of survival. The frog doesn’t really care that it is in danger of getting its insides liquefied and sucked out. Do frogs even feel pain? I doubt it. Sorry to anyone in PETA but frogs just don’t care. Are we all just frogs waiting around until the proverbial giant water bug does the same to us?; Maybe not, it probably wasn’t a good analogy in hindsight, it’s 20/20, or so they tell me. But my real point is that Nature needs to be respected, it’s been around way longer than us and it has a plan, and it executes it with deadly precision. Annie really paints the picture well in her literary pursuits. I liked her imagery; it really reminds me of running around out near the lakes around my hometown. Nature is cruel, but sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind, my English teacher in 11th grade told me that after I declined a prom invitation, which I felt bad about. I think Annie presents the view that nature is a medium through which we learn more about ourselves and our certain place in this crazy world. Cycles of life and death, no matter which path we take we end in the same place, the ground. But when we just use nature as a tool we have the tendency to abuse it, we need to live in symbiosis with nature. But that’s just me and I could be wrong.

and a link for your enjoyment.

Thoughts on the life of nature

To understand Thoreau's decision to live in nature to find himself one must look at nature. Nature is the essence of deliberation. No time is wasted by the fur tree. It's existence is merely to grow and die, spreading its seeds in hope of forming more trees and in time a forest to herald to its ounce meager existence. The wolf thinks not of the sunny days to come or the times to see his family and chat with friends over a game of cards. The days pass for the wolf only to hunt and breed, to feed his hunger and bolster his species' population. After a time one mimics his surroundings, adapts to the lifestyle of his environment. To be surrounded by deliberation, to sleep, live, and breath it's constant effort to survive. This encompassing lifestyle leads one to his bare essentials in life and the beautiful simplicity of life. The Village is bustling creation of man. The politics of civilization erect a barrier to the deliberation of life. Although the Village does provide man some amenities, protection from nature, care to the sick and weak. But to be pampered is only to forsake nature, to cut away its hold on man. The strong survive when protection is lost, the weak perish when nature is in control. This unforgiving tendency serves to tear man away from his wants of the world, his vises. To strip man down to his animal instincts but to free his mind from the turmoils and squabbles of life. To free the mind to contemplate the deepness of life itself. Life deceives the mind with its visage of simplicity. But when stripped down to it's skin Life shows its complexity and ultimate beauty. The life of the woods is the life of simplicity but in turn the key to complexity.