Recently in READING RESPONSES Category

READING RESPONSE 2

After reading chapter 4, I realized the way my book is sending the message of the dying family farm is through the Dual narrative. One the left hand pages on in the book, there is a story of a flourishing family farm with full page images that depict the ideal family farm. Juxtaposed on the right hand pages is what has come of what used to be the family farm, with images of emptyness, death, rust, and such. One of the elements of designing the book that I'm troubled with was brought to my attention in the reading, typographic blance. I really liked the Juxtaposition in a dyptych which has been reflected in my book. I thought that the "future" face in the reading was a great example of juxtaposition. With these strong comparisons, I'm having trouble placing my text in a way that will complement the messages being send by the imagery.

READING RESPONSE

I realated most to the TIMTOWTDI design method. I'm all over the place. It really depends on the mood I'm in, or the day I'm having that determines the methods I use to go about creating the framework for producing a design. This can be reflected in this project. In class on Monday we were put under pressure to create our design ideas. Fortunately this method worked for me on Monday, but many (most) days this is not the way I come up with my best ideas.

READING RESPONSE 2/8

I thought this was the most interesting reading of the semester so far. I was really able to appreciate most of these posters. The one thing that stood out about all of the example posters is that they were all simple and to the point, which makes sense because they were all low budget posters. It actually made me think of my ideas for my poster and got me questioning whether my designs are too complex. Should they be very basic and simplistic, just get the point out there? I feel like maybe this should be the case. I think this idea will be reflecting in my work more. Make it more simple.

color Theory response

As I read this reading, I couldn't help but think of how If I lived long ago, before the color wheel and color thoery, i wouldn't have had the same motivations Josef Albers or Louis Prang. They were artists and scientists. What I found more interesting was even after the color wheel had been established, other color theoriest created their own intreptations of the color wheel, and questioned what most wouldn't have. As a result, created something new and completely different.

goethe-triangle.gif

I wish there was a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow.

Response to "The Astonish Me Problem"

I thought what I read in this pretty interesting in the sense of all the different things that were brought to my attention. I thought how they talked about essentially trying to draw people in for the sake catching their attention to sell their message or product was interesting a lot of the time what drew their attention had nothing to do at all with the product or the message. In a way I thought this was "clever" as they put it, but also deceiving. It made me think, is that what we do as designers? Do we assist/ will we assist our clients, the people who will hire us to create an advertisement for example, in deceiving the public in a way. Just a thought.

Massive.jpg

I thought that the Massive attack album box WAS "alluring" as they put it but then again there was more to the box than just being cool. They knew it would sell more albums for them if they had that feature. What is wrong with the music itself selling the albums? In a way I'm disappointed in massive attack, way to knowingly sell out.

This page is an archive of recent entries in the READING RESPONSES category.

PROJECT PROCESS is the previous category.

VISUAL RESEARCH is the next category.