Recently in Orientation Reg Category

Orientation Reg: Close-Out

What Worked

We met all six of our goals for this project, from providing better service to students to gaining efficiencies in the office. Along the way we learned how to query the Data Warehouse.

I improved communication frequency (a goal of mine in 2010) by providing updates even when there was nothing to report, or worse, when there was bad news. Our timeline was compromised by more pressing project and I did a respectable job communicating that to Rebecca. Hmm, Rebecca was also the person I worked with on the urgent project so maybe this wasn't a fair test. I'll take the win and keep working toward improvement.

Regarding the method of communication, using this blog and iChat worked well. Rebecca's a short walk away and many times, unable to compose a blog or chat, I wandered up for a face-to-face.

The Take-Aways

This project succeeded because of an e-mail Rebecca sent to Jodi in March 2009. What's so great about it?

1. Followed the process. Instead of going directly to IT, Rebecca submitted her request to Jodi, at that time LAC's IT liaison. Jodi ranked this project in terms of priority and place in an overall strategy before turning it over to us. This is a very effective way to work with IT.
  2. Articulated the project. In several concise paragraphs, Rebecca outlined the problem: we don't know who's coming to orientations, then suggested a solution: we need an online form to gather RSVPs. We expanded the e-mail into a Statement of Work where the implications of not knowing who's coming to an orientation made a compelling case for tackling the project and the benefits of the solution translated into clear, measurable goals.

Hours

I recorded 45 hours between November 24, 2009 and May 25, 2010.

Orientation Reg: Progress Report

Here's a rundown of where we're at:

• Web site. All set and ready to accept RSVPs.
  • Database. All set and ready to receive RSVPs, manage breakout sessions and print reports.
  • Queries. Working! Now you can query the data warehouse for a set of records or an individual record and it will pull in Program, Track and Term information. We still need to install and configure the ODBC plugin on your workstations. As I mentioned before, Christopher installed the plugin on other ES workstations and it wasn't working. He submitted a support ticket with the company and vowed to monitor the issue while on vacation. Worst case, I run the query on my computer until it's resolved.

Thanks for the list of rooms and their capacities. I'll update the database.

Tomorrow afternoon Christopher and I get a primer on how to query the data warehouse. Based on what I learn in this meeting, I'll be able to build the queries we need. Note to self: Check with Christopher about:

• ODBC drivers, have we ordered two?
  • have we submitted ARFs for Rebecca and Arianna? They need data warehouse access.

We need to change the left nav links and masthead on the site. Should I set up a meeting for us? BTW, I'm out Friday and Monday, March 12 and 15.

• Scrub list of locations and their capacity. I'm emailing the list.
  • The website is borrowed from WIV tracking. What should our title and left nav be?
  • We're still ironing out my access to the data warehouse so I haven't been able to write and test the queries.
  • I'm working on how the database can help you prepare and send the program-specific confirmation emails.
  • Christopher started the process of getting approval for, then purchasing the ODBC driver that will need to be installed on your computers. I believe they are $25.00 each.

Orientation Registration: Progress Report

Web Site. Mostly done. Want to get Rebecca's feedback on a few things.

Database. Also mostly done. It collects RSVPs and can print reports that help organize the event. I'll have a few questions for Rebecca.

Query. Thanks to Christopher we successfully queried the Data Warehouse. Unfortunately I don't have proper access to program and test the exact query we need. We submitted an ARF yesterday. When we get the query coded, I'll work with Rebecca to see how it fits best into the workflow. Is it done is batches or onesie-twosie? Also, we'll need to purchase and install the ODBC driver on Rebecca's computer.

I still have not been able to work on the orientation registration project. There are two projects taking up my time but those should wrap this week. We're still on track for a March 1 go-live. Let me know if you have any concerns.

These are the communications that seem silly on the face of it but are important to good project management — something I resolve to be better at in 2010. The progress report on the Orientation Registration project is there there has been no progress on the Orientation Registration project. However, this is not bad news.

• The deadline is unchanged at March 1, 2010.
  • We taught ourselves how to leverage the Central Authentication Hub for the Support Ticket project which is something we need for this project.
  • A while back I spent time developing the back-end FileMaker database.

Wireframes

RSVP

The web portion of this project is pretty simple. Students are sent an email inviting them to an orientation. Within the email is a link to a web page. The page is behind the CAH (Central Authentication Hub) so they'll need to authenticate if they haven't already. They indicate a yes or no and have the option of submitting a question in advance. On submit, a record is created in a back-end FileMaker database.

web process for orientation rsvp

Project Round-Up

Orientation Online Registration

This project is brand new. All I know so far is from Rebecca's March 4th email. I scheduled a meeting for Thursday, July 2nd. We'll gather requirements so I can write a Statement of Work and draft a schedule.

Project Round-Up

External Funding
Objective: Update the current online searchable database. Update the underlying technology from CDML to PHP. Update the FileMaker back-end so staff can use it to manage content.
Status: Behind schedule. I had to reset the project plan to catch up. I'm still working on coding the php pages. Made a breakthrough and work should go smoothly now.
View the project plan ->

SPD (Searchable Program Database)
Objective: Create a web interface where users can search programs.
Status: The Web SWG is developing the look, structure and behavior of a new program minisite. Visit the Web SWG blog for more information.
View the project plan ->

Lib Ed Website
Objective: Update the current Liberal Education Requirements online database. Update the underlying technology from Instant Web Publishing to PHP, improve navigation, add functionality, enhance the look and feel by embedding it within the LAC web template.
Status: Creating new wireframes that deal with two sets of Liberal Education requirements.
View the project plan ->

Publication Order Form
Objective: Create an online order form where the university community and outside institutions can request Learning Abroad publications.
Status: Christopher successfully set up a two-server testing environment and was working on the live version when he was swallowed by Peoplesoft. We'll check his availability June 1.

Confucius Institute Online Catalog
Objective: Create an online catalog based on the assets in the Lending Library Database. Plus a php calendar.
Status: A meeting is scheduled for Friday, May 29.

Confucius Institute PHP Calendar
Objective: Implement a PHP calendar on their website. Should be a snap-in job. Has already been done by Patrick and Mohammed.
Status: We'll discuss during meeting scheduled for Friday, May 29.

Orientation Online Registration
Objective: Create a way for students to sign up for an orientation online.
Status: It's a go and on the schedule for a mid-June start.

China Center Database
Objective: Update their current database look and functionality
Status: It's a go and on the schedule for a mid-July start.

Curriculum Integration Database Done!
Objective: Make changes per Mandi.
Status: Not started. I estimate 5-10 hours to complete.
Deadline: May 22, 2009

Incident Abroad Database Done!
Objective: Make changes per Stacey.
Status: Not started. I estimate 10-15 hours to complete.
Deadline: May 29, 2009

Project Round-Up

External Funding
Status: Slipped a little. I revised the schedule, compressing some tasks to maintain our mid-May go-live date. Currently I'm working on coding the php pages.
View the project plan ->

SPD (Searchable Program Database)
Status: I'm working on a new configuration to the program minisites that's database-friendly.
View the project plan->

Lib Ed Website
Status: Resurrected! Back on track with a few changes. Emily is now my main contact with Sarah G stepping back to work on Peoplesoft. The project itself has changed too. Now it needs to accommodate two sets of requirements. I'm working on a revised project plan.

Publication Order Form

Curriculum Integration Database
Objective: Make changes per Mandi.
Deadline: May 22, 2009

Incident Abroad Database
Objective: Make changes per Stacey.
Deadline: May 29, 2009

Confucius Institute Online Catalog
Objective: Create an online catalog based on the assets in the Lending Library Database.
Status: Under consideration.

China Center Database
Status: Under consideration.

Orientation Online Registration
Status: Under consideration.