- Go to http://www.google.com
- At the bottom of the Google homepage, click on the "Business Solutions" link
- "Analytics" is a link in the middle of the page, under the "Enhance Your Website" heading. Click that link
- Click on "Access Analytics", the big button in the upper left
- The direct url for this page is http://www.google.com/analytics/
- Log in with the credentials you get from Soni
- Click the "view report" link for www.umabroad.umn.edu
On the left is the main navigation, and on the right is the customizable dashboard. The dashboard can be rearranged by clicking on the upper-left corner of each section. In addition, any report within analytics can be added to this dashboard summary by clicking on the "add to dashboard" button in the upper left heading of any specific report's page. The "Top Content" report is used the most.
Using the Top Content Section
Within this report, all information about any specific page within the website can be tracked. The sections most useful to LAC staffers include:
- Number of page hits
- Average time spent on page
- How visitors arrived at the page, and where they went next
To find a page's visitor information, enter a keyword from that page's title into the "Find Page Containing" searchbox in the lower left corner of the "Top Content" report's table.
To find information on program pages that deal with Florence, type "Florence" into the searchbox. Every page within the Florence directory of the LAC website will appear. Bbrowse the list to find the desired program pages. This results table is also useful for finding information about which pages with a specific program are the most viewed.
To understand where visitors came from and where they went, go to the "Navigation Summary" link on the right side of the page. Here, information can be found about a page's common entry and exit pages within the site.
For example, to find information on navigation to and from the Montpellier program's "Confirmation Checklist" page:
Checking Search Box Inquiries and Stats
- Go to the "Top Content" section from the dashboard (analytics home page).
- Type "Montpellier" in the search box.
- "Confirmation Checklist" is on the "accept" page in the Montpellier directory. Click "programs/EUROPE/montpellier/accept.shtml" result in the "Top Content" table.
- You are now on the "Confirmation Checklist" ("accept.shtml") results page. Click "Navigation Summary" on the right side of the page.
- Behold the wealth of information. You're done!
- Click on the "Content" link in the left hand navigation
- Click on the "Site Search" button in the menu that appears
All of the relevant information is on this page. Keep in mind that due to a coding error, the search was not being tracked accurately prior to 05/12/09.
Changing the Date parameters
Many times it can be useful to only see results for given span of time. To change the date range shown in the tables, graphs, and stats, simply click on the date field in the upper right corner of any analytics page.
- Click on the desired starting date, followed by the desired ending date.
- Click "apply."
Keep in mind that this will change the date range for all of the analytics pages. This date range will revert to the default "month" range after the user signs out.