Missing College Student

I just wanted to say that my heart is going out to all of the friends and family members of Dan Zamlen, the missing college student from St. Thomas. I can not even imagine what it would be like to personally go through this. I hope they find him soon and get their questions answered! http://wcco.com/local/st.thomas.missing.2.976662.html

Job and Internship Fair Update

I attended the U of MN Job and Internship fair yesterday and it was very helpful! Although I think I went at the wrong time because it was SUPER busy and the lines were long, when I was done everything was much shorter! Everyone that was working the fair was very professional and all the students and alumni were dressed up all business-like, I enjoyed that! There were a few organizations/companies that I was really interested in and that I visited. I would like to share these with you, especially if you are a Family Social Science student or a prospective student!

Some of the great organizations/companies were:
ACR Homes
Admission Possible
AmeriCorps in Minnesota
Department of Health and Human Services
fahrenHEIGHT360
Fraser
Goodwill/Easter Seals
Hennepin County
Homeward Bound
MN Autism center
MN Department of Corrections
MN Council of Nonprofits
PeaceCorps
St. Joseph Worker Program
YMCA/YWCA of Minneapolis

...There were many more at the fair but these are the one that are most related to Family Social Science that I got more information on! If you are interested in any of these companies I strongly urge you to google them to do a little research. I know they all have internships and 280 hours of an internship is required for graduation!! :)

Job and Internship Fair!

Tomorrow the U of MN is hosting a Job and Internship Fair at the Minneapolis Convention Center! I plan on attending in hopes of getting some information about full time employment after I graduate! Some nice things about this is that it is just for U of MN students, there is a complete list of employers, jobs, and contact information on their website here, it's free, and transportation is provided! There will be buses from Coffman Union straight to the Convention Center which is one of the best parts of it for me tomorrow! So, if you can you should try to attend the Job and Internship fair because, as you can see, there are many employers and representatives that will be there waiting to talk to us!

Graduation 2009

I got a letter in the mail about the Commencment Ceremony for Spring 2009! It is going to be held on May 14th, 2009 at 7:00pm! I was SUPER excited to get this letter and it made a lot of things that are coming up in my life seem like they are a lot closer than I was expecting! This is SO exciting!! :) graduation22.gif

Presidential Elect 2008!

Last night, November 4th, 2008, was an amazing night for all! I hope everyone got a chance to get out and vote because we the people are what make the decisions in this country! No matter what party you were standing up for, what candidate you were voting for or what issues you care about the most, we all came together to let our voices be heard. Last night, Barack Obama made U.S. hisotry when he was elected as the 44th president of the U.S.! This will forever be in our History books and I am proud that I was able to participate in it! Both John McCain and Barack Obama made remarkable speeches after it was announced who won. This was very emotional for me because I am just so proud of what American is capable of and how well we come together in the end. Obama being the first African American President is a huge step towards equality in our country and I hope that everyone is appreciative of that. I got up at 6am to go to my voting station and wait in line for an hour to be one of the first people to vote! I loved doing this because seeing everyones excitement, energy and anxiousness made it a lot of fun and a great experience for all. I waited until 10pm to hear who had won! On NBC news they had announced it even before all of the states electoral votes were in and counted. This is because Obama reached the 270 votes needed to win early on, before even counting any of the West coast states! The ending electoral vote as of now (Missouri and North Carolina are still "too close to tell" and may need a re-count) are 349 for Obama and 163 for McCain. :)
obama_shep_print_final2.jpg

Your Voice - Your Vote!

As we all know, this election is a very important one if not the most important one of all time. With all of the baby boomers' children now of age to vote, and them being a large majority of the United States population...we need to exercise our right to vote to the max! This is so important for the future of all of us! There are a few things to remember:

* You may not use going to vote as an excuse to miss class time! This may seem like the perfect opportunity to skip out on lecture legitimately, but it is against the rules! According to the Minnesota daily, the University of Minnesota's policy on Makeup Work for Legitimate Absences states that skipping out of class to go vote is not a good excuse, and that you need to work around class to go vote. However, many people around campus and myself are predicting that this rule may be loosely enforced on November 4th.

* The polls at the University of Minnesota will be open 13 hours on the 4th for your convenience. And you are able to register on the day of elections. These are to make voting easy and convenient, so no excuses!

* You can vote if you are:
* A U.S. citizen
* 18 years old or older on Election Day
* a Minnesota resident for at least 20 days before election day
* a resident of your precinct on Election Day
* not a convicted felon deprived of your civil rights
* not under "guardianship of the person"
* not legally incompetent

Happy Voting on Tuesday, November 4th!