New Officers

The Family Social Science Round Table has had their last meeting of the semester last Monday 5/4! We voted on all of the new officers for next Fall and all of the 2009-2010 school year! So there are ALL new officers: President, secretary, treasurer, volunteer coordinator, and social coordinator! I wish then the best of luck for next year! I know I had a blast with the Round Table in the past year and I will definitely miss the group! I have made some good friends there, learned new leadership skills, and learned a lot of the organizations around the Twin Cities. GOOD LUCK IN 2009-2010 SCHOOL YEAR ROUND TABLE!!

Current Events

The Family Social Science Round table has been very busy lately! We recently did a soical event of going to dinner together and just hanging out! We did a volunteer event at Feed My Starving Children in Chanhassen, MN, we're planning to attend the U of MN Rely for LIfe, and have a Gopher's After Dark spot reserved for us at Coffman Union on 3/27! If you are interested in joining us for any of these events please email us at fsosrt@umn.edu. Everyone is welcome! :)

Spring 2009 meetings

The Family Social Science Round table is having their meetings on Mondays at 4pm in McNeal Hall! If you are interested in joining it is extremely recommended that you attend one of the first meetings to get the scoop on everything right away while it's all happening! There will be an introduction to the group, and an agenda for the semester! Don't miss out! Room TBA.

Our Adopted Family

As you know, the Roundtable adopted a family adopted a family for the holidays and we purchased and wrapped a TON of gifts for them! I was so surprised at all of the gifts that we all came up with for the family. In fact, they all got everything that was on their lists that we received! :) When i brought the gifts to the organization they were very thankful for our generous donations. It's a good feeling to know that I was a part of the Roundtable who did this great work for people in need.

We've adopted a family for the hoildays!

The Roundtable has adopted a family for the hoildays through an organization called Family and Children's Service! Our role in this is to purchase and wrap hoilday gifts for the family! Our family consists of a mother, and three young children! Family and Children's Service gave us a list of the names, ages, sexes, and their needs and wants during this cold season! So far all of the children have gotten clothing, and the mother has gotten a new silverware set! I am sure more gifts will be coming as we get closer, but this is just so exciting for me and all of us at the Roundtable! :) If you are interested in helping families out during these hard economic times, and holiday season, feel free to come to our next meeting (on 11/25 in McNeal 164 at 4:20pm) or contact this organization yourself! :)

People Serving People

People Serving People is a homeless shelter downtown Minneapolis. They offer many services and assistance and it's a great place to volunteer! The Family Social Science Round Table will be serving dinner here on November 26th, 4pm - 5:45pm. We have volunteered here two other time during last school year. This is a really fun opportunity because we get to see what it is like inside of a homeless shelter, and see how they function. On November 26th we will assist in making dinner, serving it to the residents of People Serving People and cleaning up after wards. If you are interested in the volunteer opportunity please email FSOSRT@umn.edu asap! Thanks :)

What is the Round Table?

The Family Social Science Round Table is an undergraduate student organization established to create a sense of identity within the Family Social Science Department, provide networking opportunities, promote healthy relationships, provide hands on experience in community service and involvement, and encourage socialization with peers and faculty. Each year this organization is led by FSoS juniors and seniors, but any students interested in FSoS are invited and encouraged to participate.

Fall 2008 meetings are held in McNeal Hall, room 146. Meeting are every other Tuesday at 4:20pm.

* October 14
* October 28
* November 11
* November 25
* December 9

Please join us to help plan social events, volunteer opportunities and talk about issues related to the Family Social Science major.

Questions or comments? Email fsosrt@umn.edu

Alzhiemers Walk

The Family Social Science Round Table raised $500 for the Alzheimers Walk! This event was held on Saturday, September 27th in Highland Park. For every $100 raised our team earned a shirt (shown in the pictures below). It was great to see all of the people there to support research to help end Alzheimers Disease in our community.

IMG_3772.JPG
Many people showing support for people with Alzheimers by walking 3 miles together!

IMG_3780.JPG
Caitlin Ramsay, Jillian Moran, Marie Smith

Feed My Starving Children

The Round Table has done a few trips in the past year to Feed My Starving Children. This is a great volunteer opportunity for the individual, a few people, or a large group! You just have to sign up ahead of time if you are in a group of 10 or more. But if there are less than 10 people you are more than welcome to go on one of their "walk in" nights shown on their website.

FeedMyStarvingChildren.jpg Lauren Dussault, Jillian Moran

FeedMyStarvingChildren2.jpg Katie, Katie Lovitz, Dan Willams, Anne Johnson

FeedMyStarvingChildren3.jpg Laura Skubic, Emily Wang

FeedMyStarvingChildren4.jpg Steph Bonson, Jillian Moran