Sleeping Gag

Rob Walker has a feature in the latest issue of The New York Times Magazine.  The story is about an April Fools' Day joke product on the website ThinkGeek that generated such high customer demand, ThinkGeek actually started selling it.

Every April Fools' Day ThinkGeek, an online merchant, puts ridiculous products that do not exist on its homepage.  When the customer clicks on the product, ThinkGeek wishes them a happy April Fools' Day. 

The story is a consumer report, focusing on ThinkGeek's innovative products. 

Walker focuses on the latest product in demand, the Tauntaun Sleeping Bag.  A Tauntaun is the mythical creature Luke Skywalker climbs inside to stay warm in the film, "The Empire Strikes Back."

The sleeping bag first appeared as a joke last April and is currently in full production.

I like how Walker relates the demand for ThinkGeek's unconventional items to their innovative product development techniques, yet I want to hear more about their products' actual sales numbers.

This story may be a consumer report but in ways I also see it as entertainment. Do you think this is something worth reading? When I read the article it was quirky and funny it is own way. I understand why you may want to know their techniques and products' actual sale numbers but I do not think that this was Walkers goal while writing this feature. I think he wanted to inform people of their success but also inform people of the ironic situation this website encounters. Walker is not telling people whether they should buy these products or not, he is not informing us about whether people who purchased them or not liked the products. He is just simply letting us know about the website and its story of an ironic success.

I do think you do a good job in revealing to your readers what the main point of this article is about right from the get go. I also think that your point about how Walker relates the demand for ThinkGeek's unconventional items to their innovative product development techniques. This may attract some readers to article. Good work!

p.s. I didnt mean to post the first one early :)

This is really interesting and a unique way to market products! I also thought the article was entertaining and funny. Besides being just funny, it was also somewhat informative. I thought it was a good idea to focus on the Tauntam sleeping bag, because that item is unique in that it was originally a fake product that turned into a real one.

But I think it would have been interesting if there was a better description of some of the other fake products. For example, what are p-Teq's USB Pregnancy Test Kit and Squeez Bacon? How were they marketed? How many people actually tried to buy these products? Besides that, it was a really interesting feature.

Sleeping Gag: This is really interesting and a unique way to market products! I also thought the article was entertaining and funny. Besides being just funny, it was also somewhat informative. I thought it was a good idea to focus on the Tauntam sleeping bag, because that item is unique in that it was originally a fake product that turned into a real one.

This page contains a single entry by funkx077 published on December 2, 2009 4:29 PM.

Did Christianity Cause the Crash? was the previous entry in this blog.