Minnesota Parent Education Core Curriculum Framework and Indicators now available for educators
A draft of the new Minnesota Parent Education Core Curriculum Framework and Indicators (PECCFI) document is now available for parent educators to download and print. In addition, editable forms (Microsoft Word documents) are available for educators to use in developing parent education curriculum.
Minnesota's Parent Education Core Curriculum Framework and Indicators is not intended to be a prescribed curriculum. It provides a framework that defines and places parameters around the core content—what we teach—in parent education. Parent educators should continue to have autonomy and exercise creativity in assessing the specific and unique needs and expectations of each parent and parent group with whom they work and in designing curriculum and selecting resources to best meet their needs and expectations. The framework and indicators are a foundation for doing this work.
One of the visions of the committee that developed Minnesota’s Parent Education Core Curriculum Framework and Indicators was that it focuses the role of the professional parent educator on that of being an educator, not just a group facilitator. Group facilitation skills are one of an array of teaching methods for delivering parent education content. This may be a shift for some parent educators who view their role as one of mainly facilitating a self-directed group learning process.
The specific goals of the Parent Education Core Curriculum Framework and Indicators are to provide a resource that:
(1) Frames or defines the body of knowledge in the field of parent education.
(2) Identifies the intended content and objectives of parent education in ECFE and Even Start in Minnesota.
(3) Is applicable across the field of parent education with any type of parent education program, population, setting, and delivery mode.
(4) Is a planning tool for development and delivery of parent education curriculum and lesson plans.
(5) Provides guidance for parent goal setting in parent education.
(6) Guides assessment of parent education outcomes and programs.
(7) Promotes accountability in parent education programs and with individual parent educators.
(8) Informs practice in parent education.
Download the entire document Minnesota's Parent Education Core Curriculum Framework and Indicators (pdf, 66 pages, 263 kb)