« Student Profile: Hsin-Ru Kang | Main | New Version of Parent Education Core Curricium Framework released »

Student Profile: Soohong Kim

Soo-Hong KimI am working on my doctoral degree in FYC with an emphasis on Family Education. I completed my M.A. in family education at the University of Minnesota during spring semester 2006.

I received my B.S. in Child Development and M.Ed. in Early Childhood Development in South Korea. I worked extensively with the educational system in South Korea, teaching kindergarten and working with parents, and was honored to receive several awards and grants related to my teaching, committee work, and research. I currently work as a graduate research assistant in the Family Education program where I supports faculty and program projects.

I most enjoy learning about conducting research. My master's thesis was on the experiences of Korean mothers' strong commitment to their children's education, which I presented on at the National Council on Family Relations conference in 2007. In 2008, I presented at the same conference on the experiences of Asian graduate students who are also mothers. My most important professional goal is to help families and children, and I hope to accomplish this through my favorite activity, research.