M.Ed. Student Profile: Tiffany Wilson-Worsley

Ph.D. Student Profile: Heeran Kim

Heeran KimHeeran Kim is completing her first year as a doctoral student in the family, youth, and community track with a focus in family education. Born and raised in South Korea, she received her B.A. in educational psychology and her M.A. in counseling psychology from Sookmyung Women's University. She has worked with children and their families with diverse backgrounds including low income families and people living in suburban areas of Korea. She is interested in family and parent education for minority people such as families and parents with ethnic diversity, lower socioeconomic status, and single parents. Her research interests include family resilience and multicultural education. After completing her Ph.D., she intends to return to Korea to pursue professional goals. One of her goals is to teach students in academic settings and the other is to work as a practitioner (or an activist) in educational organizations serving families and parents.

Deb Roberts receives advanced study scholarship

RobertsD.jpgFamily Education M.Ed. professional studies and parent and family education licensure student Deborah S. Roberts has been awarded an advanced study student scholarship from the College's alumni society in recognition of her academic performance and potential for making a significant contribution to the field of education and human development. The award was presented to Roberts on Friday, April 17 at the CEHD Alumni Society awards celebration. A reception followed the ceremony.

Catherine Johnson, 2007-08 Fellowship Recipient

Catherine Johnson

Catherine Johnson is the recipient of the 2007-08 Ruth and Paul Thomas Family Education Graduate Fellowship. The award has made it possible for her to be a full time FYC doctoral student and immerse herself in what the University has to offer. Catherine appreciates the generosity of the Thomas family, saying, "I hope that I can merit the confidence shown in me by contributing with in the field of Family, Youth and Community." Dr. Ruth Thomas, who is also Catherine’s adviser, “has been an excellent guide in the process of getting started at the University and in the field of Family Education," according to Catherine.

Catherine has worked as a physical therapist in Fairmont, MN, at Mayo Health Systems during the last 17 years. Her experience includes work in outpatient clinics, long-term care, home health, and school districts. All of these situations included the need for teaching clients, which led to Catherine’s interest in what makes an effective therapist-educator. Catherine completed a post-professional Doctor of Physical Therapy program that included projects related to patient education, particularly low literacy patient education. Her experiences in home visiting through the school districts and home health agencies continued to demonstrate the need for educational methods and materials that were relevant and accessible to families with low educations or low literacy.

Dr. Jerry McClelland (now retired) first encouraged Catherin to further her interest in educating families with low levels of education, socio-economic status and limited technology while working on her doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction in Family, Youth, and Community. Johnson is finishing her second semester of classes in May 2008 and says she has "found all of the professors to be excellent teachers, guides and leaders."

Brice Dixon awarded CEHD Alumni Scholarship

Brice Dixon

FYC Masters of Arts student Brice Dixon was one of three recipients of the College of Education and Human Development Alumni Society's Advanced Study Student Scholarships awarded on Friday, April 18, 2008 awards celebration held at McNamara Alumni Center.

Brice is originally from a small, rural town in South Carolina. He attended Morris College, a small historically Black college in a neighboring city and graduated number one in his class. During his final semester he served as a research assistant to a psychology professor who encouraged him to apply to top graduate schools. Brice sought out the top education programs in the country. “The University of Minnesota ranked number five at the time on U.S. News and World Report. I missed the deadlines for the first four schools, applied to the U, and was offered a spot in the FYC program and offered a nice scholarship," said Brice. Read Brice's personal profile below:

Continue reading "Brice Dixon awarded CEHD Alumni Scholarship" »

Student Profile: Hsin-Ru Kang

Hsin-RuKang.jpg

I am from Taiwan, where I was an elementary school teacher for years. My college degree was music education; however, I am interested in parent education and family mental health. Therefore, I am pursuing my PhD in FYC with a specialization in Family Education, and declaring a graduate minor in Complementary Therapies and Healing Practices. Currently, I am working with Dr. Susan Walker on two projects. One is about Asian parent education research. The other one is American parent education website comparisons research. Given that I grew up in Chinese culture, I will do Chinese parent education and family mental health research in the future. For professional growth, I am joining National Council on Family Relationships and Minnesota Council on Family Relationships. I plan to participate in activities and conferences in the family education field to strengthen my scholarly and practical capability. I will also make efforts on giving presentations at conferences and publishing articles in the future.

Ph.D. Student Mustafa Ibrahim Receives Fellowship

Mustafa Ibrahim, a Family, Youth, and Community Ph.D. student in Curriculum and Instruction has been named one of three fellows for the 2007-2008 Graduate Fellowships on Philanthropy and Human Rights, a joint venture between HECUA, the Higher Education Consortium for Urban Affairs, and the Otto Bremer Foundation. The three fellows will spend the academic year working on individual research projects that will involve collaboration with local communities and nonprofit organizations while integrating their research with academic objectives. They will work at the Otto Bremer Foundation’s St. Paul office, have access to resources and community contacts, attend seminars and conferences related to philanthropy and human rights and receive a $13,500 stipend to support their research.

Mustafa’s main goal is to understand the social and cultural life of the Somalis in the Twin Cities. He will investigate how newly arrived immigrant communities like Somalis and others can be successful in the United States socially, economically and politically while still maintaining their culture and social capitol. Mustafa is especially interested in researching the educational struggles that many Somali youth are facing today in the Twin Cities. Before studying at the University of Minnesota, he studied at the International African University in Khartoum, Sudan and the International Islamic University in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia where he studied Educational Administration. He currently lives in St. Paul and has five children.

Family and Consumer Sciences Cohort 2006-07

FACScohort06-07.jpg
Family and Consumer Sciences initial licensure students Megan Lundberg, Sarah Kjergaard, Jalane Gunderson, Kahla Sparish, and Carly Emil ham it up after their lab management class.