An Introduction: Welcome to the Next Four Years of Life

Dear Class of 2016,
If I'm doing my job right, hopefully you have some familiarity with who I am. I'm Raven, the Digital Media Intern in the Orientation and First-Year Programs (OFYP) Office. I've been attending the U for the past four years. I started off as a part-time PSEO student (for those of you who don't know, PSEO is program that allows high school juniors and seniors to take college classes for credit), but still remain officially in the class of 2013. I'm a Studies in Cinema and Media Cultures major, which is a just a very long way to say film studies, and a double minor in Art and Cultural Studies & Comparative Literature. So if you ever want to discuss film and movies, social theory, or the rule of thirds, I am your gal.

When I'm not writing papers or spending long nights in editing labs, I enjoy spending time with friends and watching 30 Rock on Netflix. I like to wear Converseā„¢ and spend too much money on McDonald's. I think the world would be a better place if everyone listened to Laura Marling and I'm currently addicted to Instagram (@rstjohnson). Also, my favorite word is "indexical."

Reading your questions and comments via Facebook have been some bittersweet moments for me. On one hand, it makes me miss the newness and excitement of my freshmen year and yet, I'm extremely grateful for all the experiences leading to where I am at the U now (ugh, I feel old, but hopefully sound ridiculously wise). Everyone's college experience is going to be different, so I can only speak to my own experience and any advice I have should be taken with a grain of salt.

I think it's important to realize that whatever expectations you have for college, you should expect to be surprised, gratified, and disappointed. Yes, it may be one of the best times of your life, but it is also A LOT of hard work. There is a joke you will probably hear a lot soon: 1) Social Life, 2) Good Grades, or 3) Enough Sleep. Pick any two. That is true to a point. It's a big step coming from high school to college, one that comes with a tremendous amount of independence and responsibility. But with that, college is the time to fully explore who you are and who you would like to be, not just prepare for a career. So be open to new experiences and friendships and take part in any opportunities that come your way. In doing that, I promise, you will be able to look back at your college experience without any regrets!