Lived It. Learned It.

It blows my mind whenever I think about how I just finished my sophomore year of school here at the U. Freshman year seems like it was forever ago and yesterday all at the same time. It's crazy to think about how much I've learned and how far I've come since that first day on campus way back when. You better believe there are things I wish I would have known when I first started out here. Lucky for you, I made plenty of mistakes through my freshman year, so many in fact, that I'll share a few with you now in hopes of you avoiding the slip ups that I've already made for the both of us.
1) Just because the dorm food is all you can eat DOES NOT MEAN you must eat everything. The "freshman 15" is part myth and part truth, it all depends on how you handle yourself in those dining halls. Handy things to keep in mind are: dessert does not need to come after every meal, cereal does not need to accompany every dish, and don't fight the vegetables (you know you like them).
2) If you could be sleeping, you should be sleeping. What I mean by this is that you don't need to stay up all night just for the sake of staying up all night. Yeah it's fun to hang out with friends, roommates, and floormates, but by the time midterms and finals roll around and you're searching for sleep in Coffman on an armchair, you'll come to realize how sacred sleep really is. Be productive, have fun, but budget enough time so that you're at least semi-well-rested for each day.
3) If you meet someone, acknowledge them when you see them next. I'm not so sure if I need to explain further, but I will. Basically, through the course of your freshman year, and really life in general, you will meet many, many people. So many people, in fact, that you won't remember them all, but if you do see someone when you're in the dining hall, walking down the street, or out on a Friday night, just say hi! You don't need to talk for hours, you don't need to share your deepest secrets, but trust me, it's so awkward when you don't acknowledge them. Just imagine all of the eye contact you'll have to avoid and how interesting your cell phone or the wallpaper will become. Trust me on this one, JUST SAY HI. They'll be glad you did and so will you.
So study up, incoming students, and learn from the mistakes I've made. I wish you all good luck in the years to come! I'm sure you'll be just fine.

-Ashley Ochiagha