« Two Minneapolis Police Officers Relieved of Duty Pending Investigation | Main | Chinese Protest French Anti-Chinese Feelings »

Toddler is Blown Into Lake Michigan

A strong gust of wind blew a 2-year-old toddler in a stroller into the waters of Lake Michigan where he was underwater for nearly 15 minutes.
The child's grandfather who was pushing the stroller Firday afternoon jumped into the water to try and save the boy,the Chicago Fire Department said, reported USA Today.
The grandfather, 65, was pointing at the water shouting for his child at the end of the 70-foot long pier.
"He was just moaning in the breakwater, crying," said witness, John Derscheid, who called 911.
Chicago Fire Department divers retrieved the child and stroller from the 42-degree water within about 15 minutes, and the grandfather was pulled to safety by the harbor master, reported the Chicago Sun-Times.
Divers had to search for the toddler in zero-visibility waters, said department spokesman Larry Langford. The child was found 10-feet under the surface of the water.
At the time, winds were about 20 mph with gusts of about 30 mph, a meteorologist said, reported USA Today.
Derscheid said minutes before he saw the grandfather, he was chased off the concrete structure by a gust of wind so strong it send beer cans sailing by, reported the Chicago Sun-Times.
The toddler was in critical condition at Children's Memorial Hospital Friday afternoon, while the grandfather was in serious condition at nearby St. Joseph's Hospital, fire officials said.
"I haven't seen the kid since,'' Derscheid said. "I saw them take the kid out and that is going to stick with me for the rest of my life.''