« Louis Adams: Project 1 Proposal | Main | Breanne Subias: Project 1 Proposal »

Lisa Lipschultz : Project 1 Proposal

For my stop motion animation project, I want to do a love story through a sort of fluid membrane—possibly the surface of water—which will be represented by a sheet of fabric. The story will involve two lovers living on opposite sides of the membrane and struggling to have a relationship with this barrier perpetually between them. Eventually they figure out that they can break through the membrane to be together, but one person is always unhappy because both characters want to live on their own side of the membrane; they want their lover to come live with them. In the end, it doesn’t work out; the fluid solidifies or dries up and they no longer have access to each other.

This will be a photo based project with live and hopefully willing subjects. My plan is to start with the formation of the membrane, with the fabric crumpled up into a ball and then gradually spreading out and rising off the ground until the male subject appears underneath the fabric. The female subject (me, probably) will be watching this happen and then the characters will try to interact through the barrier of the fabric; there will be loving gestures, etc. Finally the female subject will get fed up with the situation and attempt to jump through to the guy’s side, and she’ll make it, and they will be very happy together…for a while. Then she’ll get homesick for her side and try to drag her lover back through. As much as he wants to be with her, he just cannot find a way to be happy on her side of the membrane, so he goes back to his side. After this happens, the membrane will gradually begin to disappear, taking him with it. The female subject will be very sad.

One of the tricks will be making the male subject appear underneath the membrane/surface. I think I’ll start with the fabric lying flat on the ground and then start putting pillows under it until it starts to resemble a human body and then replace the pillow with the actual person so it looks like he’s coming up through the floor almost. The second trick will be “passing through the membrane,? making it look like the characters are going back and forth through the fabric. This will involve placing pictures of the subject behind the fabric and then in front of it together, and possibly some other things that I have yet to work out.

My intention is to experiment with how fluidity can be portrayed in a more non-fluid medium. Also I thought fabric might have a lot of stop motion potential because you can do so many things with it (wrap people in it, pin it to things, throw it up in the air, fold/crinkle it, etc.). One video that helped me think about how I might use fabric is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsFIkfaS8Zk