« Sable - Project 2 Final | Main | Ashley project 2 »

Jeremy Sengly Project 2

Download file

For my remake I decided to reshoot a scene from The Royal Tenenbaums where Ritchie attempts suicide. This scene proved to be more complicated than it originally seemed. My first task was to decide where the scene ended. Since there were two possible endings to the scene I decided to try and combine them. I did this by removing the scenes that included the rest of the family rushing to the recovery room.

I also decided to reinterpret the costume and animals in the original scene. Ritchie's costume is tied to his childhood as a tennis star. I decided to have my remake tied to my childhood of late 80's early 90's clothing. I used a leopard fur coat in place of Margot's coat. I also decided to simplify Dudley's costume to Mordecai the falcon with a dog named Zeppo. This was mainly because I didn't have access to a trained falcon. I tried to keep the metaphor the same, by showing Zeppo with a leash, without his leash, and then running free.

The song "Needle in the Hay" by Elliot Smith controlled a lot of the movement and drama of the original scene, so I decided to keep it and try and make the pacing similar. This was the hardest part of the remake, it forced me to analyze the original scene very carefully and map out each time cue so that the energy and emotional impact wouldn't get lost in the differences in film quality and costume.

Overall I am happy with the remake. If I were to change anything it would be a closer attention to the composition of some of the scenes, mostly the scenes with Zeppo running. Lighting was also hard to control, I was originally planning to duplicate the blue hues of the original but they ended up interfering with the image, because of the overall darkness.