« Stephen Project 2 | Main | Alina Cheng Project 2 »

Ken Shores Project 2

Download file

My video was a remake of the breakup scene from Cruel Intentions. In this scene, Sebastian goes to Annette’s house to break up with her. It was suggested to me as a scene that made my girlfriend cry not only because of how hard of a breakup the scene portrays, but because as the movie progresses, the viewer would know that Sebastian is breaking up with Annette even though he loves her and does not want to. It is possible to tell this just from watching the scene, because Sebastian is acted well, and this is part of what I tried to portray in my video.
The scene was shot in my dorm room. The camera angles used were chosen to model the shots from the film, and follow those positions as closely as the arrangement of my room allowed. The lighting in the room was white-balanced initially, but due to cloud-cover affecting the sunlight coming through the window, when the footage was reviewed the tones and shades shift quite often, even mid-shot. When editing the footage, I tried to choose shots that made the lighting consistent between screen-changes. Because so many had color-balance changes mid-scene, it wasn’t practical to try to use Final Cut Pro to post-edit the color-shifts out of the film.
When shooting, at least three, sometimes more “good? shots were taken for each set of lines. The shooting process was made much quicker by planning the shots ahead of time, though in the future I would be more conscientious of proper breaks between each take, as well as starting the tape a few seconds farther in (I lost my first take on my first scene because it was too soon on the tape). Also, I was thankful that my other actor had some experience in acting, and that I had coincidentally had another friend around to help with the shooting and cameras. I had not planned on a third person, and it made taking shots infinitely easier.
I learned post-shooting of a rule in film about an imaginary line between actors in a conversation, and crossing that line with the camera when switching shot angles in the final film. It becomes fairly obvious where I don’t adhere to this rule, though I suppose it could have been worse.
The largest point I learned from this project was the value of pre-shoot planning. I put 2-3 times as much time and thought into how the shooting would go than into the actual shooting, and I can see that even more planning wouldn’t have hurt. Much of my planning still seemed last-minute because I had troubles obtaining a camera and a second actor, but everything worked out as I reached the deadline.
I tried to capture the concept of the movie in spite of some of the relevant context being gone, and tried to follow very close to the original instead of doing an abstract portrayal of the film (which I was considering initially).