« ashley final project | Main | Breanne Subias, Visiting Artist Response »

Matt W - Final Project

The idea for my video is still being formulated, but I have a strong urge to base the storyline around popular old actors, such as Woody Allen or Marlon Brando or Audrey Hepburn. I’m unsure as to whether I will make the characters seem as if they are within their own place in time or whether I will take their same characters out of their time periods and place them in another. I’m thinking the latter of the two would be very interesting and have a lot of options, as well as make it easier for each character to interact. The general idea that I have in my head working with all these characters is to make a movie about these characters all working on a movie together. So my video would seem almost like a documentary in a way because you would see a lot of the mistakes and production value side in the video.
Technical aspects that I know I will work with are largely the number of shots. Partly because I’m not sure how much action/interaction/excitement/etc. will come out of what is happening in the movie, so having a large number of shots to create interest will be important. Another reason I want to focus on shots is because I really saw how important and interesting shot variation is within just one scene, from doing our last project. I think that it adds a lot of interest, and like I said before, since I’m not exactly sure of the content in the video, I know I want to use shots as a key visual tactic for entertainment.
Another technical issue is going to be working with lighting. Since I plan on having my actual video have video footage shot as if another movie is going on within my video, then it will be important to make that evident. To use lighting in a way that distinguishes the movie footage from the other footage.
Another issue that I am concerned with is shot location and scene set-up. I would like the video to have a very “on-the-set? presence, but still be in more than just one location.